Farewell no more Friends.

I will keep poking my head in here too, until the very end, (if & when it comes), but it's as well to have a back up plan just in case, so that is why I was looking for another option. :)

(And as I was already a member of Reddit, I'll give that my support.)

I just tried to post using Reddit. The POST button was blue, but when I clicked it a STOP sign appeared. Then a pop up said "Link to an account in order to post".
I was about to link to twitter until I read the permissions you give Reddit. They can almost take over your twitter account. If that's the price of Reddit... then I am going to remain illiterate. :(

Reddit does not do it for me - it just does not look like a place at which I could spend time. I guess it is the lack of an embed option which means no pictures....

I do know that a dedicated server on Discord could accommodate the seasons very well.
We could be a stand alone thing there.
I know this because I set up a test server (nothing to do with the UU server and now deleted) to see what it could look like.
The main issues with a Discord are accessibility and discover-ability

I don't believe UU will go to Discord.

imho the seasons has been more tolerated here on UU rather than being embraced as the active part of the forum that it is.
The fact that the seasons were given just one channel (basically equivalent to one thread here) on the proposed UU disord server shows me that they don't understand what goes on here...
And as to the Mods here - I see that Geoff's season is still numbered 409 in the thread heading and he did say he reached out to get it changed.....
It was the standard of moderation here that caused me to cease my financial support of UU. And mods and money and security are the issues of concern with site the way it is now....
It has been a fun place to hang out and share our music for so long and I hope UU does live on somewhere and we can still be part of it.

Wow, so great to read that people are figuring out how to keep our community going!

Wherever we all end up online, I look forward to as many more Seasons as we can muster <3

Having tried Reddit, I am not that keen on several things about it. Principally the fact that posts do not stay in chronological order. I also dislike Reddit's odious and IMHO totally unnecessary points system. This shifting of posts up and down could be chaotic in a Season (leading to people missing posts). It could be even more confusing after the season is over, if you want to look for a specific song on a specific season.

I have been trying a demo of a forum software package called Phpbb. It appears to be a straightforward forum set up (looks a little 1990s, but that doesn't bother me) and easy to operate and use. It has all the features we would need, Private Messaging, Forum Moderating options, Blocking spammers, etc, and none of Reddit's inconveniences.

It looks like you can't see previews of videos, or watch them on site, like on UU, but most of us follow the URL to Youtube anyway, don't we?

It also appears to be free for what we need. There are advanced features you can purchase as a package, but none of them looked essential for us.

What's the problem? Well, to run the software you need to have a website and I lost my last one when the company offering free web services went under.

So, would anyone who has a website up and running be willing to set up a Forum using Phpbb and we could see if that is the answer to the oncoming meteor threatening to smash our community apart.

Incidentally - I researched various Forum Software options before trying Phpbb and various reviews of Forum Software rated this one as #1. ( I can see why. It is fairly intuitive to use and it will seem familiar to Seasonistas, because it has a similar look to the current forum -- minus the video preview images).

Having tried Reddit, I am not that keen on several things about it. Principally the fact that posts do not stay in chronological order. I also dislike Reddit's odious and IMHO totally unnecessary points system. This shifting of posts up and down could be chaotic in a Season (leading to people missing posts). It could be even more confusing after the season is over, if you want to look for a specific song on a specific season.

I have been trying a demo of a forum software package called Phpbb. It appears to be a straightforward forum set up (looks a little 1990s, but that doesn't bother me) and easy to operate and use. It has all the features we would need, Private Messaging, Forum Moderating options, Blocking spammers, etc, and none of Reddit's inconveniences.

It looks like you can't see previews of videos, or watch them on site, like on UU, but most of us follow the URL to Youtube anyway, don't we?

It also appears to be free for what we need. There are advanced features you can purchase as a package, but none of them looked essential for us.

What's the problem? Well, to run the software you need to have a website and I lost my last one when the company offering free web services went under.

So, would anyone who has a website up and running be willing to set up a Forum using Phpbb and we could see if that is the answer to the oncoming meteor threatening to smash our community apart.

Incidentally - I researched various Forum Software options before trying Phpbb and various reviews of Forum Software rated this one as #1. ( I can see why. It is fairly intuitive to use and it will seem familiar to Seasonistas, because it has a similar look to the current forum -- minus the video preview images).

Sounds good. I like reddit but I agree that is is not the best forum for what we do - because of the lack of chronology and such.
What is the next step? Do we create our own website with a forum...?

I like the idea in theory Berni! I'm not a computer person, but I understood your explanation about PhpBB and researched it, and I think it is worth a try. I don't own the rights to a website, and I am not sure how many people are actually following this thread. Maybe we can put out a new thread asking about the website availability. That seems to be all you need in order to get it off the ground yeah?

Top Bottom