Farewell no more Friends.

cazteclo

Reaction score
Ahoy everybody

I saw the discussion here https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?144427-Farewll-Friends today and I thought, like RAB11, that reddit would be the perfect platform but, like RAB11, my account wasn't authorized for creating a subreddit.
So, I sent a message to reddit and they answered very swiftly.
I stated our case and that we were seeking a new home where we could host our seasons in a forum that is comfortable and manageable.
Reddit created a subrettid for us at https://www.reddit.com/r/seasonsoftheukelele/.

I posted GinnyT11's invite (https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...Your-invitation-to-the-Seasons-of-the-Ukulele!) there and pinned it and I posted a link to this week's season (I hope that was OK).

At the moment I am the moderator of the site and I am more than willing to share that responsibility with others that probably know more about moderating than me (I have never moderated before)

If people are willing then https://www.reddit.com/r/seasonsoftheukelele/ can become our new home (or at least a home away from home that we can also use)
What do you all say?

Last edited:
thank you for doing that! i've signed up on reddit and discord. just chatting on both of the seasons pages on those sites, for now, and coming back here to UU to post vids etc and follow the usual season flow, but it's good to have those sites as backup, and a chance to get used to them before UU forum maybe goes

Caz,

Thanks for starting a new thread and for taking the initiative to set up an alternate space where we can experiment and see how things work. Like Lynda, i've been following the conversations both on UU and Discord. I'll go over to reddit and see what is required for me to follow there as well . . . .

Ahoy everybody

I saw the discussion here https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?144427-Farewll-Friends today and I thought, like RAB11, that reddit would be the perfect platform but, like RAB11, my account wasn't authorized for creating a subreddit.
So, I sent a message to reddit and they answered very swiftly.
I stated our case and that we were seeking a new home where we could host our seasons in a forum that is comfortable and manageable.
Reddit created a subrettid for us at https://www.reddit.com/r/seasonsoftheukelele/.

I posted GinnyT11's invite (https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...Your-invitation-to-the-Seasons-of-the-Ukulele!) there and pinned it and I posted a link to this week's season (I hope that was OK).

At the moment I am the moderator of the site and I am more than willing to share that responsibility with others that probably know more about moderating than me (I have never moderated before)

If people are willing then https://www.reddit.com/r/seasonsoftheukelele/ can become our new home (or at least a home away from home that we can also use)
What do you all say?

Hello, Caz! Thank you for doing that ... I think I have signed in. (Haven't ever used "reddit" before ... but I will learn!)

CAZ YOU LEGEND! Hopefully we wont need to migrate but it may be worth copying over Pa's sign up thread too. Just the first few posts with available threads and past themes.

CAZ YOU LEGEND! Hopefully we wont need to migrate but it may be worth copying over Pa's sign up thread too. Just the first few posts with available threads and past themes.

I'll try and do that (I send you a mod invitation on Reddit as I have little clue as to what I am doing and would not mind a partner in this)

In terms of mods, I think we'll need people who are always around who can manage the long-running threads as needed. I doubt we'll need much to settle disputes around here as we're good like that, maybe being on reddit might invite some trolls who stumble across us but if we have a mod in each major time zone that should be dealt with easy enough.

What I can do later is lay a ground rules post for the subreddit so then if we do get trolls we have grounds to take action against them.

In the long term, you can customize the look of the sub through CSS I believe. If we have anyone proficient in that, great, if not, I have a lot of time on my hands to learn!

Reddit looks interesting, although on my old laptop running Chrome, I can't see who has made each post. On my phone I see their avatar and name. On the laptop - nothing, just the message and how many hours ago it was posted. So, maybe a problem. Anyone else? And no preview of the videos, which is not the end of the world, but a pity.
Discord is also possible IF we can manage the addition of a new channel for each season.

But reading the long thread in the UkeTalk section, my gut feeling is that Ryan will look for another forum-based platform and all departures might not be required. I say stay here until all hope is lost, even if it means paying a little to keep it running.

Last edited:
Oh no! I fear what might happen if we change a winning formula. I was on the Seagull Merlin Group on the much maligned Google +. It was a thriving community with lots of posts. Then Google+ closed down and a member set up an alternative (must have taken hours of organising) a few of us signed up for it, but nowhere near half of the original members. After a slow start, it dwindled to a trickle and is now virtually idle. I hope that doesn't happen to the Seasons.

What is it about tech companies that they have to constantly fix what ain't broken?

If I am not happy with the new platform and if it destroys our community here, I will definitely withdraw my financial support for the UU site.

Hi Berni,

I hope we can figure a way to work this out.

I'm not a techie (at all), but my office went through a similar situation to UU's about five years ago. We had used a vendor who had used the same web platform since 1996, and after 20 years, the platform just plain pooped out. It wasn't designed to handle graphics and videos and the number of posts that had accumulated over the years. The phrase "held together by chewing gum and bailing wire" seemed to apply. And we had to pay a lot more to the vendor because they were constantly patching together the site.

So we switched to another platform that was, as they say, more robust. It's terrific. But all our old stuff is hard to find with search features.

I have an idea the mods here are in the same boat with whatever provider is supplying the template ('architecture') of the UU Forums. Rayan, et al., didn't design this themselves. They're leasing it from a tech company, and it probably was obsolete a couple of years ago, but they've kept it going.

I hope we don't lose access to this forum, but I know what they're going through and empathize.

What's not clear: Where we go next, if we must. An app-based setup like Discord may be the answer, but it'll be different. Maybe Facebook (if we trust it?) We could set up an invitation-only group there, I think.

IOW, open to suggestions/willing to try new stuff.

My guess is COVID-19 is forcing the mods to make decisions they'd rather not. Much like many of us.

Cheers --
Rick

Oh no! I fear what might happen if we change a winning formula. I was on the Seagull Merlin Group on the much maligned Google +. It was a thriving community with lots of posts. Then Google+ closed down and a member set up an alternative (must have taken hours of organising) a few of us signed up for it, but nowhere near half of the original members. After a slow start, it dwindled to a trickle and is now virtually idle. I hope that doesn't happen to the Seasons.

What is it about tech companies that they have to constantly fix what ain't broken?

If I am not happy with the new platform and if it destroys our community here, I will definitely withdraw my financial support for the UU site.

I agree with the Merlin thing. I was on that Google+ group as well and I migrated to two or three different forums but ended up kind of neglecting all of them; but those forums were not placed on the best websites either so I have high hopes for reddit.
This place is still up though so I, along with other, will continue to post here but I am going to try and actively keep a backup on the subreddit, if possible.

I agree with the Merlin thing. I was on that Google+ group as well and I migrated to two or three different forums but ended up kind of neglecting all of them; but those forums were not placed on the best websites either so I have high hopes for reddit.
This place is still up though so I, along with other, will continue to post here but I am going to try and actively keep a backup on the subreddit, if possible.

Same. I am going to stay here for as long as we can. I think it might help move the needle on Rayan and the other mods finding something similar if we don't all just abandon ship. If we are forced to move I would very much prefer it not be to Facebook. I suspended my account lat last year and I would really rather not go back into that cesspool. Also, not that it matters much to a forum that reaches around the world, but they are terrible neighbors.

Not sure what the answer is technically. But If the Reddit site takes off, it would be a good idea to create a sub-folder called something like Seasons on UU and at least store the playlists from every Season there. That way if we eventually lose the forum, Seasons Historians can still access what songs were in each Season. Then only the collapse of YouTube would lead to the years here being lost in the ether forever.

We could split the task of saving the Playlists. Each of us regulars could volunteer to save say 40 or so of the original playlists to that new page. I don't think many Seasons didn't have a Playlist, so that would be a vital resource and archive.

PS I will stick around until the bitter end too. But if the Forum does get locked one day I would prefer to switch my patronage to whatever system we end up using.

Last edited:
A dedicated server on Discord looks better than reddit to me - the embed of vids and photos looks like what we have here - and lots of channels for various activities and a dedicated one for each season.
I went and played to see what it could look like -
https://discord.gg/YrpudrQ

A dedicated server on Discord looks better than reddit to me - the embed of vids and photos looks like what we have here - and lots of channels for various activities and a dedicated one for each season.
I went and played to see what it could look like -
https://discord.gg/YrpudrQ

I have joined the new server. I am willing to experiment with Discord, reddit, or whatever, as long as it helps us maintain this fine community.

Should I then copy the Discord link over to reddit so, at least, we can funnel users over to the discord more easily (that is to say if someone who is interested wanders through there)?

Last edited:
I have joined the new server. I am willing to experiment with Discord, reddit, or whatever, as long as it helps us maintain this fine community.

Should I then copy the Discord link over to reddit so, at least, we can funnel users over to the discord more easily (that is to say if someone who is interested wanders through there)?

I haven't created a seasons server yet - just my own server to show what it could look like - to me it certainly looks eminently doable but I am going to stick here til this site dies.

Taking the whole archive of past seasons over there won't happen imho - a lot of the playlists and even hosts channels may no longer even exist on youtube. You now have a copy of the season title list on reddit and I also have a copy on my computer so those things are relatively safe.

Let's just keep playing music til this ship actually sinks....

Top Bottom