Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Farewell no more Friends.

And CAZ, thanks for taking initiative!
    SOPRANOS: • 1920s Gibson UKE1 (Olympian label) • 1930s Martin 2M • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany • Famous FS-1
    CONCERTS: • Martin C1K • Enya Nova U (blue) • Ohana CK-50WG (solid cedar top) • Firefly maple banjolele • Makala MK-CE
    OBJETS D'ART: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by Barbablanca View Post
    Oh no! I fear what might happen if we change a winning formula. I was on the Seagull Merlin Group on the much maligned Google +. It was a thriving community with lots of posts. Then Google+ closed down and a member set up an alternative (must have taken hours of organising) a few of us signed up for it, but nowhere near half of the original members. After a slow start, it dwindled to a trickle and is now virtually idle. I hope that doesn't happen to the Seasons.

What is it about tech companies that they have to constantly fix what ain't broken?

If I am not happy with the new platform and if it destroys our community here, I will definitely withdraw my financial support for the UU site.
    I agree with the Merlin thing. I was on that Google+ group as well and I migrated to two or three different forums but ended up kind of neglecting all of them; but those forums were not placed on the best websites either so I have high hopes for reddit.
    This place is still up though so I, along with other, will continue to post here but I am going to try and actively keep a backup on the subreddit, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cazteclo View Post
    I agree with the Merlin thing. I was on that Google+ group as well and I migrated to two or three different forums but ended up kind of neglecting all of them; but those forums were not placed on the best websites either so I have high hopes for reddit.
    This place is still up though so I, along with other, will continue to post here but I am going to try and actively keep a backup on the subreddit, if possible.
    Same. I am going to stay here for as long as we can. I think it might help move the needle on Rayan and the other mods finding something similar if we don't all just abandon ship. If we are forced to move I would very much prefer it not be to Facebook. I suspended my account lat last year and I would really rather not go back into that cesspool. Also, not that it matters much to a forum that reaches around the world, but they are terrible neighbors.
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

Quote Originally Posted by RAB11 View Post
    I doubt we'll need much to settle disputes around here as we're good like that...
    *hollow laughter*
    lynda

acid skiffle

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    *hollow laughter*
    OOHHHHH!!!! (I doubt very much that that exclamation is long enough to warrant posting, so, I repeat .... OOHHHHH!!!)
    Last edited by LimousinLil; 03-30-2020 at 06:33 AM.
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Not sure what the answer is technically. But If the Reddit site takes off, it would be a good idea to create a sub-folder called something like Seasons on UU and at least store the playlists from every Season there. That way if we eventually lose the forum, Seasons Historians can still access what songs were in each Season. Then only the collapse of YouTube would lead to the years here being lost in the ether forever.

We could split the task of saving the Playlists. Each of us regulars could volunteer to save say 40 or so of the original playlists to that new page. I don't think many Seasons didn't have a Playlist, so that would be a vital resource and archive.

PS I will stick around until the bitter end too. But if the Forum does get locked one day I would prefer to switch my patronage to whatever system we end up using.
    Last edited by Barbablanca; 03-30-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    *hollow laughter*
    Isn't that "Later" . Ay thank Yoww ...tadish boooom

A dedicated server on Discord looks better than reddit to me - the embed of vids and photos looks like what we have here - and lots of channels for various activities and a dedicated one for each season.
    I went and played to see what it could look like -
    https://discord.gg/YrpudrQ

Quote Originally Posted by pabrizzer View Post
    A dedicated server on Discord looks better than reddit to me - the embed of vids and photos looks like what we have here - and lots of channels for various activities and a dedicated one for each season.
    I went and played to see what it could look like -
    https://discord.gg/YrpudrQ
    I have joined the new server. I am willing to experiment with Discord, reddit, or whatever, as long as it helps us maintain this fine community.

Should I then copy the Discord link over to reddit so, at least, we can funnel users over to the discord more easily (that is to say if someone who is interested wanders through there)?
    Last edited by cazteclo; 03-30-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cazteclo View Post
    I have joined the new server. I am willing to experiment with Discord, reddit, or whatever, as long as it helps us maintain this fine community.

Should I then copy the Discord link over to reddit so, at least, we can funnel users over to the discord more easily (that is to say if someone who is interested wanders through there)?
    I haven't created a seasons server yet - just my own server to show what it could look like - to me it certainly looks eminently doable but I am going to stick here til this site dies.

Taking the whole archive of past seasons over there won't happen imho - a lot of the playlists and even hosts channels may no longer even exist on youtube. You now have a copy of the season title list on reddit and I also have a copy on my computer so those things are relatively safe.

Let's just keep playing music til this ship actually sinks....

Thread Information