Switching chords

Fierceful

Reaction score
Hello!

I am brand new to the ukulele, and I'm having lots of fun! I am also having a little difficulty switching chords. The song I have started off learning has me changing between a G chord and an A chord, and then between a G chord and a Dm chord. The way I am playing now, this requires that I shift my hand position, but when I do the neck is unsupported and starts to move.

I can't figure out how to shift my hand position smoothly, without interrupting the song. If this question is answered elsewhere on the site, please feel free to redirect me. Otherwise, can someone help me learn how to shift my hand position without bringing the song to a halt while I reposition?

Thank you!

Do you use a strap to support your uke? If not, cradle the body on your hip and stomach. Hold the uke about 45 degrees upright. Angle wrist slightly down from the headstock.

What size uke are you playing? Soprano? Concert? Tenor? Baritone?
I use a strap for exactly this reason. I don't have to worry about controlling the uke while changing chords or notes.
If your fingers are long enough, you can cradle the neck in the curve between the thumb and the forefinger whilst changing chords. But, it can be difficult.
Soprano you can hold the body tight to your stomach/ribs using your right arm/forearm. Leaving your left hand free to move to change chords. Lots of vids on YouTube to show you the better ways to hold it. Look at how other players hold it.
Concerts and tenors require more pressure to hold the uke in place.

If you're sitting down and can rest the butt of the uke on your leg, it's easier to play, but you still have to control the neck.

Practice changes between two chords 20 times or more until it gets natural and you build muscle memory. Then the next two chords and so forth. You can do this watching TV, without playing the strings. Practice 10 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Thank you! Paying more attention to the angle really helped, and I'm STARTING to get the hang of using my forearm to grip. Practicing the chord changes is starting to get a little easier three days in; I think my fingers have accepted that they are going to need to grow some callouses and aren't complaining quite as much now!

Last edited:
Thank you! Paying more attention to the angle really helped, and I'm STARTING to get the hang of using my forearm to grip. Practicing the chord changes is starting to get a little easier three days in; I think my fingers have accepted that they are going to need to grow some callouses and aren't complaining quite as much now!

If you weren’t struggling with chord changes having only three days playing under your belt I might be jealous and never talk to you again;)

It takes much experimentation and repetition but technique is improved through lots of doing. Like many others I use a strap on everything from sopranos on up. Whatever works is acceptable, that’s the beauty of this little instrument. Welcome to the ukulele and to UU, enjoy

Top Bottom