KoAloha Opio tenor

Loska

Reaction score
This may be a very frequently asked question, so my apologies!

I have been developing a massive desire to try a KoAloha tenor ukulele. I've been leaning towards the Opio line as it comes half the price than the Hawaiian made ones.

How do they compare, the Hawaiian and Opios? Is there a significant difference in sound, feel and build? Should I pull the trigger and try an Opio, or save money for a koa one. :confused:

i haven't played either but from sound samples, I find it it difficult to tell the difference in sound unless they are played back-to-back and even then the difference is slight. It is there, but unless you can tell it in the samples and it matters to you, I think you'd be quite happy with the Opio.

I wouldn't even discount the new Koalanas entirely:
https://www.theukulelesite.com/koalana-tenor-kta-0010.html

I've got an Opio soprano and it's amazing. I've heard that the difference in sound is slight.

The big reasons to go for the expensive one, is you want Koa, you want Hawaiian made, and maybe you like the slight differences in style. This year, the 25 year anniversary model is another potential incentive to buy the Hawaiian built model.

Personally, I think the acacia on mine looks quite pretty.

I purchased an Opio Acacia Long neck Soprano. Love it Beautiful Voice to my ear.

I bought an Opio tenor spruce/acacia at the factory when I was in Hawaii.
Absolutely phenomenal instrument.

I have a number of KoAloha products, and my most comparable for your question are my Opio Concert and my Koa Concert. The Opios are wonderful, but there is a tonal quality of the Hawaiian Koa that is even the next level. We’d all be happy if our best choice was an Opio: the Koa takes it further. Is it worth $600 more? I can’t answer that and didn’t need to, as both these instruments were used under $400.

I find the Acacia to be more tuned to mid range and less sustain. I find the Koa to have higher overtones and to have more sustain.

I “get” that Koa is a type of Acacia. But there is a difference.

I have a number of KoAloha products, and my most comparable for your question are my Opio Concert and my Koa Concert. The Opios are wonderful, but there is a tonal quality of the Hawaiian Koa that is even the next level. We’d all be happy if our best choice was an Opio: the Koa takes it further. Is it worth $600 more? I can’t answer that and didn’t need to, as both these instruments were used under $400.

I find the Acacia to be more tuned to mid range and less sustain. I find the Koa to have higher overtones and to have more sustain.

I “get” that Koa is a type of Acacia. But there is a difference.

I believe KoAloha themselves describes the Acacia used in the Opio range to be a bit denser than Koa so it makes sense that the Opio models would have slightly less sustain and emphasis on the mids and lows regarding sound.

Personally, I only have experience from the Koa range so I can't speak for the Opios but I have heard very good things about them. It seems that the price-quality-ratio for them is excellent, and I constantly see great reviews for them. I'm willing to bet that the quality of the Opios is good enough. My only concern would be whether you'd ultimately be satisfied with just the Opio or will you want the Koa model in the end anyway. :)

Thank you all! I must be the most difficult ukulele buyer in the whole galaxy. I almost purchased the Opio, I literally had it in the shopping bag, but then I went and looked again and found a reasonably good deal on Kanile'a K1 tenor. It is within my budget. So now I'm a bit more confused if possible! It is too bad that I can't buy better personality from any webstore... and it's a bummer that I can't play those ukes side by side.

Ha, what do you know! The Kanile'a is sold to someone else, so I just purchased the Opio tenor. Yes!

Ha, what do you know! The Kanile'a is sold to someone else, so I just purchased the Opio tenor. Yes!

Congrats! After you've gotten it and played it, let us know how you like it.

Top Bottom