NUD: 1919 Martin Style 1M

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Well, there is some happiness here in the midst of this pandemic. Today I received a 1919 Martin Style 1M. This is one of Dave's rescues, and is a very cool little uke. He did a great job bringing it back from the brink. The back was compromised, so Dave needed to add a rosewood binding on the back to make it work. I tuned it up and played it only for a few minutes, it sounds great, with a nice low action. I haven't had a standard size sop for a while, and forgot just how tiny these little guys are...tiny in size, but surely not in sound. Luckily, this one's specs are right up my alley: 36.75mm nut width, and 29.6mm string spread at the nut, providing great playability for me.

I'm a bit leery it may have dried out on the trip from CA, so I have placed it in a HSC with a Planet Waves humidifier, a damp sponge in baggie and a hydro meter. I'm going to give it a good drink for a while, and get the humidity levels up before I do too much with it. Getting acquainted will be a lot of fun.

7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
Good for you, enjoy. I'm still enjoying the bamboo uke I got a few weeks ago, played it all evening while watching TV.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

John, as you know (from our messages) my rescued Martin 2 from Dave is a delight. I strongly recommend giving it time to settle (like a bottle of wine you’ve had shipped to your home). The wait will be worth it. It’s a gorgeous uke, in any event.

Still the holy grail, aren't they?
Congrats!

Still the holy grail, aren't they?
Congrats!

Yes, they are terrific instruments. The good part is that they made a considerable number of them. While there are some that are really pricey, if you keep your eyes open and are willing to accept a "well loved" instrument that may have a few cosmetic issues it is possible to find some real bargains.

Oh fantastic! I'd love one of these

Looking forward to hearing it!

Top Bottom