Thread: Moisturizing with the puspose to close crack

Default Moisturize to close crack

Hello, I have an ukulele with a crack that I hope to close. It is a 1940s or 50s mahogany.
    Whenever Iīve read about this the writer says, "go very carefully ahead".
    I suppose that means donīt (never ever!) over moisturize but rather let it take the time.

Now if, I can get the cracks to close, at perhaps 50% humidity, the risk of introducing tensions in the back that will cause new cracks is there, isnīt it?

Thankful for any point of view.
    Last edited by Henning; 03-30-2020 at 10:34 AM.

If the gap has stabilized like that, in "normal" conditions of temperature and humidity, I would agree that attempts to close the gap, using artificially high humidity, run the risk (a very high risk) of further shrinkage and cracking, after the repair has been made.

I think that must be the longest sentence I have ever written - sorry!

I have used humidification to close smaller gaps very successfully. That was in a uke, only about twelve months old, that had been kept in a warm and very dry atmosphere.

I look forward to hearing what others with more experience have to say.

John Colter

I have to guess slightly, donīt think the conditions were "normal" because the instrument is still dried out considering the relatively sharp fret ends. The cracks however, assumably have been there for quite some time.

I would be very wary of using high levels of humidity in an attempt to close those gaps. I would keep the uke for a week or so in a room with known high-ish humidity, and see if that has a beneficial effect.

If that doesn't work, I would start looking for a plan 'B'. My preferred alternative would probably be to fit a number of internal cleats, then fill the cracks.

John Colter

High levels of humidity to close a crack will do little harm, if you see the crack closed it will be obvious when to stop.

Thread Information