Chord fingering help

chillywilly

Reaction score
I am trying to play “My Foolish Heart” by Margaret Whiting. I am using e-chords for the chords.
There is a A7+, and a D7+ listed. I cannot find how to play these chords, and their listed fingerings in e-chord doesn’t seem correct. I looked in my Roy Sakuma Ukulele Chord book and don’t find them listed.
Thanks in advance for your help.

"+" stands for "#5". Take the fifth of the chord and raise it one half tone (one fret).
A7+ would be 0110 (The E is the 5th note in the A scale, so we raise it one fret to F)
D7+ would be 3223 (The A is the 5th note in the D scale)

Thank you for the information. I thought it was augmented. Not an augmented 5th. With the information provided the chords are in my book!!! Thank you!!!

Would someone with more experience than I have play the song and tell me if it sounds correct? It does not to me

You're right Chillywilly, that chord sheet is not right. I've had a look at it and would suggest this for the first section:-

The (A,2100)night is like a (Dbm7,4444)lovely tune, (F#7b9,3434)

Be-(Bm7,2222)ware my foolish (E7,1202)heart,

How (AM7,2444)white the ever (F#m,2120)constant Moon,

Take (Bm7,2222)care my foolish (E7,1202)heart.

Is that better? I can do the rest of the song for you, if this suits you.

It is a bit simplified. I've previously typed out other, more "fleshed-out" versions in 'G' and 'Bb'. I don't know how to post a copy on here, and it would be too long winded to type it all out again as above. I'll try taking a photo of the printed sheet, and posting it as a jpeg.

Best of luck - it's a lovely song.

John Colter

I've had a bit of time on my hands (who hasn't, these days?) so I wrote out the rest of the song in the simplified style of the E-chord arrangement

There's a (AM7,2444)line between love and fascin-(DbAug,0110)ation,

That's hard to (Bm7,2222)see on an evening such as (Db7,1112)this,

For they (F#m,2120)both give the very same sen-(F#m7,2424)sation,

When you're (EM7,4446)lost in the magic of a (Bm7,2222)kiss, (E7,1202)

Her (A,2100)lips, are much too (Dbm7,4444)close to mine, (F#7b9,3434)

Be-(D,2220)ware my foolish (E7,1202)heart.

But (AM7,2444)should our eager (F#m,2120)lips combine,

Then (D,2220)let the fire (Db7,1112)start,

For (F#m7,2424)this time it isn't fascin-(F#m6,2324)ation, (G9,2212)

Or a (AM7,2444)dream that will fade and fall a-(Dbm7b5,4434)part, (F#7,3424)

It's (D,2220)love, this time it's (Bm7b5,2212)love,

My (E7,1202)foolish (A,2100)heart. - (AM7,2444)

---------------------

There might be typos, or inconsistencies in the above, but it should be enough to give you something to work on.

Stay safe and well,

John Colter

Last edited:
WOW!!! Thank you very much...first play through sounded so much better!! Thank you again. I will work on this today!!

I'm glad it works for you, Chillywilly. I'll post photographed (jpeg) copies of "spicier" chord sheets in 'Bb' and in 'G' in the appropriate section of the forum. The two are similar to each other, but are not straight, chord by chord, transcriptions.

In the 'Bb' version, I love playing and singing the line, "For they both give the very same sensation, when you're lost in the magic of a kiss". The way the chords progress, with quite slight changes of the fingers, is very pleasing.

John Colter

ps. The recording by Margaret Whiting is very tastefully done, but my favourite rendition of this song is by the wonderful Ethel Ennis. You'll find it on youtube. It is simply sublime.

I didn't know the song, but I've just listened to Karen Souza's version on Soundcloud and I'm going to put it on my to learn list. I'll listen to Ethel and Margaret once I've learnt the melody by ear.

Thanks Ukantor (John) for the song sheet in three keys, I'll soon know which one suits my voice best.
Thanks Chillywilly. If not for your question/request I wouldn't have discovered this gem.

Mahalo to both!

Top Bottom