Looking for a rib bending iron

eclipsme

Reaction score
I would like to get more accurate with my bending so am looking at buying a bending iron.

I like the StewMac, that is all except the price. This will be my first experience with a bending iron so would prefer a less expensive option, if it will work...

This one is $100 and seems to get favorable reviews. What do you think?

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Yinfente-Gui...s=side+rib+bending+iron&qid=1585685816&sr=8-1

I don't own the stumac iron so I'm not sure, but it looks like it uses a rheostat. The problem with that is they take a long time to come up to temp because they are reducing power only. Like a dimmer.

I have made my own and use a temp controller like the one on amazon. Mine gets up to temp quickly because the power is on full till it gets to temp then the power is full off and on to maintain temp.

I have two of the Stew-Mac benders, the first one for 38 years now and still going strong. They are not controlled by a rheostat, but by a thermostat that cycles the power on and off ( you can hear it switching). The newest one does take about 15 minutes to get to temp even here in balmy Kauai.
Brad

If you have a gas propane torch you can heat it up to temperature in a couple of minutes on the electric iron while it is still switched on...it gets you off to a fast start ... I do it all the time with my heat gun and pipe method. :)

If you have a gas propane torch you can heat it up to temperature in a couple of minutes on the electric iron while it is still switched on...it gets you off to a fast start ... I do it all the time with my heat gun and pipe method. :)

What size pipe did you use? Do you/would you share a picture of your bender? Thanks!

These are not difficult to make.
I made mine with an old water tank heater element as the heat source. Around here the water tank is 220V and the domestic is 110V. So the element has no problem on 110V. You can also use a Barbecue lighter. For a thermostat, I used an old electric pan thermostat found at the flea market. Similar to this one. A short piece of Aluminium pipe to complete
Korean-multifunction-electric-pan-plug-the-power-cord-cookers-cooker-thermostat-thermostat-wire-.jpg

These are not difficult to make.
I made mine with an old water tank heater element as the heat source. Around here the water tank is 220V and the domestic is 110V. So the element has no problem on 110V. You can also use a Barbecue lighter. For a thermostat, I used an old electric pan thermostat found at the flea market. Similar to this one. A short piece of Aluminium pipe to complete
View attachment 126208

Thanks for the pointers. It is the pipe that I have a hard time sourcing...

Thank you all for your responses! I have decided to go ahead and order from Amazon.

Years ago I made a wooden pattern for a bending iron and got a couple of solid aluminium castings done from a small local foundry. I then used a heating element salvaged from a UV/infra red heater, back then they were popular if you wanted to be the glorious orange/red colour of a lobster.
I think I'm going back 30 years or so, how amazing but the thing is still working! I never did get around to fitting a thermostat to it. When it's up to temperature I just unplug it. Being a solid casting gives me enough time to bend a set of ribs, so no real need for a thermostat. Must say that the amazon one is pretty cheap.

Years ago I made a wooden pattern for a bending iron and got a couple of solid aluminium castings done from a small local foundry. I then used a heating element salvaged from a UV/infra red heater, back then they were popular if you wanted to be the glorious orange/red colour of a lobster.
I think I'm going back 30 years or so, how amazing but the thing is still working! I never did get around to fitting a thermostat to it. When it's up to temperature I just unplug it. Being a solid casting gives me enough time to bend a set of ribs, so no real need for a thermostat. Must say that the amazon one is pretty cheap.
The Amazon guitar rib bender with the digital readout on the front, looks like the one I repaired for Pete H ..it has a heavy transformer inside and it didn’t travel too Well in the post...cos the transformer broke loose and damaged the internal circuit board ..but I did get it working ok again :)

Top Bottom