String Choice for a Heavier Top?

Swiftsailor98

Reaction score
Just reading through the thread on what types of strings you use for your creations. I thought I'd seek recommendations from builders.

I'm looking at Cigar Box Ukes. Any string recommendations to drive the heavier top?

I am not much of a player, so I am happy to leave string choice to the more experienced, but I can offer a few suggestions to help get you off the ground.

If 'heavier' = thicker, but not necessarily dull sounding, any string of choice could work.

If 'heavier' = thicker and/or dull sounding, try high tension or fluorocarbon strings.

A higher tension string set should (theoretically) provide an increase in energy to get a heavy top moving more freely … but in the 'real world', experimentation is usually more helpful than theory, guesswork, or recommendation.

bazuku - Thanks for the suggestion. Right now, I'm doing some investigating in anticipation of the 'heavier' top. I've only seen pictures and heard some internet sound samples, so I can't make a determination between your two cases. The cigar box uke is in the build process right now.

From a similar question in the Uke Talk board, I'm leaning toward the higher tension string solution.

I owe the community further input when I have the uke in hand.

Top Bottom