Clarinet anyone?

LarryS

Reaction score
Anyone play this wonderful but frustrating instrument? Had it a few years now and can get a tune out of it. Which is more than I can say for flute!

My sister learnt clarinet as a child and as a teenager she added the oboe, I chose flute and later piccolo. I tried to produce sounds and failed almost completely.

Our dad is a saxophonist, and despite my futile tries on the clarinet I've started thinking that I would like to ask him if I can try to play on his alto sax (though soundwise I'd prefer the tenor). Last year I tried out his Yamaha Wind Controller and I was surprised at how easy it was to produce a sound. I don't like the artificial sound though. I think that's where the idea of maybe showing an interest sax comes from. My Dad still plays in a band with somebody he's played with for 45 years.

I still play my flute (Yamaha YFL-574), my piccolo (Yamaha Piccolo 62), my alto flute (Trevor James Performer), and my traverso (Rottenburgh student model made by Claire Soubeyran).

Got one in July last year...this is where I got to now ........

...can't leave the damned thing alone. But relax when you play it and it slaps you in the face.

Last edited:
I sent you a PM

Got one in July last year...this is where I got to now ........

...can't leave the damned thing alone. But relax when you play it and it slaps you in the face.

Just trying something out........

Pretty good, and yea it needs constant work to keep good tone. Ukulele is much easier lol

Over the years I have found that every instrument can difficult, depending on what you want to do with it. They all have different challenges. That said, yes instruments that do not rely on reeds or embouchure control can be much easier to get results.

I always wanted to try to play a clarinet or saxophone. I am actually learning to play the alto recorder (no, not Hot Cross Buns and such). I am learning the fingerings now. I can "play" some hymns and a little classical music. My aim is to play baroque music.

Learning to make a sound is not difficult. Learning to make a good, consistent, pleasant sound is much harder. Though there is no reed of embouchure to deal with, breath control is vital.

. That said, yes instruments that do not rely on reeds or embouchure control can be much easier to get results.

Except for flute. Flute is a nightmare. After 2 years I can play 5 notes

I always wanted to try to play a clarinet or saxophone. I am actually learning to play the alto recorder (no, not Hot Cross Buns and such). I am learning the fingerings now. I can "play" some hymns and a little classical music. My aim is to play baroque music.

Learning to make a sound is not difficult. Learning to make a good, consistent, pleasant sound is much harder. Though there is no reed of embouchure to deal with, breath control is vital.

If you want to play baroque music I recommend the recorder. Preferably the alto recorder

Except for flute. Flute is a nightmare. After 2 years I can play 5 notes

Spend some time on the head joint alone to get a nice consistent tone will help get that going.

If you want to play baroque music I recommend the recorder. Preferably the alto recorder

These days a lot of musicians are going baroque! :biglaugh:

Clarinet, the mother of all woodwinds. When I was in band sax players, even oboe and bassoon platers started on clarinet. Benny Goodman. Begin the Beguine. Best clainet song ever.

Spend some time on the head joint alone to get a nice consistent tone will help get that going.

Yes, trying to get a consistent tone can be done on the head joint alone. If even that is difficult then I would suggest trying on empty drinks bottles (beer, Coca Cola). Both plastic and glass bottles will work. Larger bottles (standard wine bottle) works better if you are yet to develop your embouchure (it will need to be very relaxed) but they will need more air to fill them. 25cc bottles will need a smaller and more focused embouchure, and the air will need to spin faster. Try changing your tongue as well.

Practising on a bottle takes away the challenge of finding the correct spot. Then move on to the head joint, and finally to the flute. The shape of the blow hole impacts the ease or challenge with which you get a good sound as well. A small round shape (as on baroque flutes) will be harder. An oval one will be easier, an rectangular one might be easiest.

Top Bottom