Earthquake while playing.

jnicholes

Reaction score
This is not a joke, although it may sound like it.

We just had an earthquake in the Treasure Valley in Idaho, where I live. It shook the whole house while I was playing my ukulele.

I guess you can say I rocked the house!

In all seriousness, I am okay.

Holy schneikes!

Yeah! Of all the places to have a 6.5 earthquake, it had to be Idaho! The epicenter was in Challis, Idaho, apparently.

When I think of earthquakes, Idaho does not come to mind. I had a similar experience here in MA a few years back while lying in bed early one morning, very strange. I thought maybe I was dreaming. My wife, who was still sleeping, didn't believe me when she awoke, even after I asked her if she felt the earth move ;) Later, the local geological survey confirmed it was a small one.

Quite an experience. 6.5 is a pretty good shaker.

While we stock up ("hoard") for the virus here in CA, it prepares everyone to be better supplied for the inevitable earthquake and other disasters.

A friend who lives on Nevada told me last week that they had a couple of them within a few days

Wow! Jared,

6.5, that is a relatively strong quake. Any aftershocks?

They aren't doing any fracking nearby, are they?

Glad y'all weren't hurt and things weren't damaged much.

It is definitely an unnerving experience.

I've only been in one earthquake and that was in Cleveland, Ohio in the 80s. It was only a 4.3 if I remember correctly, but that was enough to get the 20th floor of the office building I worked in, rocking pretty good. Epicenter was in Lake Erie somewhere.

But I'm sure the many California-based members have much more vivid experiences.

Last edited:
Magnitude 6.5 is a major quake. For perspective, the 1994 Northridge quake (los Angeles) was a 6.7 and the 1989 Loma Prieta quake (San Francisco, the “World Series Quake”) was a 6.9. Really amazing this one wasn’t more destructive.

That entire region is very highly faulted and high risk for strong quakes. (And for what it’s worth, yes I’m a geology professor and I wrote my dissertation on the area west and south of the Treasure Valley in SE Oregon and north central Nevada).

How far from Yellowstone is that? If the Yellowstone Caldera ever decides to blow, it'll make the COVID-19 Pandemic seem like a pleasant dream. :(

Magnitude 6.5 is a major quake. For perspective, the 1994 Northridge quake (los Angeles) was a 6.7 and the 1989 Loma Prieta quake (San Francisco, the “World Series Quake”) was a 6.9. Really amazing this one wasn’t more destructive.

That entire region is very highly faulted and high risk for strong quakes. (And for what it’s worth, yes I’m a geology professor and I wrote my dissertation on the area west and south of the Treasure Valley in SE Oregon and north central Nevada).

Thank you for that very useful information. I appreciate learning about this kind of stuff.

This is not a joke, although it may sound like it.

We just had an earthquake in the Treasure Valley in Idaho, where I live. It shook the whole house while I was playing my ukulele.

I guess you can say I rocked the house!

In all seriousness, I am okay.

Yes, I heard about that.

And only 10 km deep. After reading your comments, I though maybe it was a deep quake, but not the case. A lot of variables in play, I suppose. Living on the west coast, I tend to blindly assume things are more stable inland. New subject to learn!

For anyone interested in continuing today's science lesson...:confused:

Here is the link for the US Geological Survey's "Latest Earthquakes" map: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/ The main shock and its 52 aftershocks (so far) form a distinct cluster to the northeast of Boise. So far it has produced several aftershocks exceeding magnitude 4. By contrast, the strongest earthquake ever recorded in Ohio, where I live, was about a M=4 (it was over 100 years ago). Ohio is truly low seismic risk. Pretty much every place west of Denver is high risk. The fortunate thing about this quake was that the epicenter was in a remote, low population density area instead of a major metropolis. Thank goodness for small things. So far I haven't seen any reports of serious injuries or death, and most damage pretty minor!

Last edited:
Top Bottom