Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inspirational Message from Alvin Okami

Default Inspirational Message from Alvin Okami

Here is a video from Pops while at home in Honolulu as our nation, and the world, tries to cope with COVID-19. Pops wanted to get a positive message out and thought of a song he had written in 2011 for the Japanese Tsunami. He and a number of KoAloha factory guys harmonized and broadcast via J WAVE RADIO this song, YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU TRY, to the people of Japan in that difficult time. The song is in Japanese and English.

So with the above as background material, here comes the crazy idea that came to him. "There seems to be such a close parallel between what happened in 2011 and what’s happening now all over the world. Nations are distressed, people are terrified, this dreaded virus could go on beyond our expectations. With all of this taking place, there has to be something that can bring a ray of hope to the confused and bewildered masses of not only our country but other countries as well. Just like the nation of Japan heard the song and people were compelled to call J Wave headquarters to voice their feelings about the song, wouldn’t it be more than incredible if this encouraging song could help in bringing a ray of Hope to cling on to during this horrific time in this period of human history."

Thank you for sharing that, and tell Pops thanks, too!

It is a welcome sentiment in these trying times. It a world full of such dark clouds it is great to see rays of hope!
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia) | KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (spruce top)
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Thank you for sharing this.

Relay our thanks to Pops as well. He is always cheerful and uplifting.

Hope you and your family and Pops and the KoAloha family are staying healthy!

Sweet.
    My thanks to Pops!

Jan
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

Very, very nice.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned F-Bb-D-G w/Worth Browns)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned D-G-B-E w/Martin 22 Baritone strings)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (tuned A-D-F#-B w/Savarez classical guitar strings)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Also, I was wondering about the gesture he did with his hand at the beginning and end of the video. Thumb pointed one way, pinky finger pointed the other. I see this a lot, but I've never understood what it means.
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned D-G-B-E w/Martin 22 Baritone strings)

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Way to go Pops and company!

Quote Originally Posted by John boy View Post
    Also, I was wondering about the gesture he did with his hand at the beginning and end of the video. Thumb pointed one way, pinky finger pointed the other. I see this a lot, but I've never understood what it means.
    That would be the "shaka" hand sign (although I admit I did not know its name until I went to look for a link...) Find out more here.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia) | KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (spruce top)
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Thanks Cluze, that was quick.

Awesome, thanks for posting.
    uke blog

https://bennyukes.blogspot.com

songs

https://soundcloud.com/bennypaul

videos (includes uke demos)

http://youtube.com/user/theschumanity

current ukes

Wunderkammer "Boswell" Tenor, Keiki Kamaka Soprano, Johnson UK-200 baritone, Kiwaya Famous FLS-1G, Cordoba 24T

former ukes

Martin 1T, Martin Oliver Ditson Dreadnought Soprano, Martin Baritone, Ohana SK-28, Ohana SK-25S, Favilla Baritone, Kala KA-FMBG, Luna Great Wave Concert, Mainland Red Cedar Baritone, Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor, Oscar Schmidt OU53, Oscar Schmidt OU57, Kiwaya Famous KTS-5 soprano, Ohana TK-38 tenor

Thread Information