Cocobolo Ukulele Owners

Puglele

Reaction score
I own a super soprano and definitely adore its sound. However, I found my left (fretted) hand gets very painful after playing. It’s not about how callous going to come out; it’s like my finger tips get hit by something hard if that makes sense.
Anyone has the same experience? I don’t have this problem with my other ukes.
I’m wondering if this is because of all solid Cocobolo fretboard, instead of ebony or rosewood. Cocobolo wood itself is quite hard and stiff.
Or is it because of the radius fretboard? I’m not a fan of it tbh.
Or is it because the strings are high tension (Dddario Titanium).
What do you think?

Hmm, I seriously doubt it is the hardness of the fretboard. My guess is the strings, although I haven't tried that particular brand. You might try some fluorocarbons like Living Water or Martin M600s.

I suppose it could even be an allergic type reaction to the cocobolo but I think you would be having other symptoms like itchy arms or even watery eyes after playing as well.

I suppose it could even be an allergic type reaction to the cocobolo but I think you would be having other symptoms like itchy arms or even watery eyes after playing as well.

There was someone on the Luthier's board section that wrote about stopping using cocobolo because of allergies. (sorry, I couldn't find the post)

Last edited:
There was someone on the Luthier's thread that wrote about stopping using cocobolo because of allergies. (sorry, I couldn't find the post)
My understanding is that certain woods can cause allergic reactions when one is exposed to the dust from sanding, sawing, etc. Once the wood is finished and built into an instrument, that shouldn't be an issue.

My guess is the problem is with the strings. The Cocobolos ship with Worth Brown strings. Maybe want to try switching back to them? Or if it's a problem with fluorocarbon strings in general, try nylon strings (e.g., Aquila).

So far, so good for me. I know several people who get sore wrists - left and right - from playing a uke. Some ukes are more of a problem for them than others. Everyone has slightly different wrists, hands, tendons, etc.

I've got arthritis, tendinitis, and carpel tunnel... And have had no problems at all with my Cocobolo Concert.

It is the first radiused fretboard I've ever had, and getting used to barre chords above 7th fret is taking a bit, but otherwise, I'm glad I bought it - and have resisted the urge to bid every time a "2nd" or a direct purchase shows up.

-Kurt

I own a super soprano and definitely adore its sound. However, I found my left (fretted) hand gets very painful after playing. It’s not about how callous going to come out; it’s like my finger tips get hit by something hard if that makes sense.
Anyone has the same experience? I don’t have this problem with my other ukes.
I’m wondering if this is because of all solid Cocobolo fretboard, instead of ebony or rosewood. Cocobolo wood itself is quite hard and stiff.
Or is it because of the radius fretboard? I’m not a fan of it tbh.
Or is it because the strings are high tension (Dddario Titanium).
What do you think?

I get this same thing when I play thick strings (Nylon). It's as though the bone in my fingertips get bruised.

I have noticed that the fret wire used on the Cocobolo tenors I have is not as thick or high as the frets on my other tenors. The crown seems more rounded as well. So I think I press harder when I play the Cocobolo ukes. A little bit harder to make barre chords on the cutaway with their standard setup. I asked for lower setup on the first one I bought and it isn't as hard.

Both have Worth Brown Medium strings on. I'll change to Living Waters when it's time for new strings.

I'm also a penny whistle player . . . and several whistlers have commented about having an allergic reaction to playing a cocobolo penny whistle. Many whistle smiths stoped making both mouthpiece and body out of cocobolo and switch to using another substance for the mouthpiece. Most whistle players had no allergic reaction at all. The one cocobolo uke I've seen and heard was an outstanding uke. I hope there is no allergy involved.

There was someone on the Luthier's board section that wrote about stopping using cocobolo because of allergies. (sorry, I couldn't find the post)

I don’t think it’s allergy. Its like you pressing the fretboard too hard. But i don’t really do that though and I don’t have issues with other ukes.

Hmm, I seriously doubt it is the hardness of the fretboard. My guess is the strings, although I haven't tried that particular brand. You might try some fluorocarbons like Living Water or Martin M600s.

I had worth Brown on before. I think it’s relatively soft but I still felt a little painful.

cocobolo

I have FOUR "cocobolo" brand UKES, every size, play them very much, have 4 or 5 OTHER cocobolo wood ukuleles, no problem with them. I find the ease of play on the "cocobolo" brand real good, neck easy to play, tone beautiful, worth extra dollars

Top Bottom