Richlite vs Rosewood (fingerboard & bridge)

azairvine

Reaction score
Hi ukers!

I'm about to make my first "big" uke purchase. The company manufactures basically the same uke under two different brand names. I'm talking about the EUT-MAD. Mainland China predominantly trade in the Kaka brand while Enya seems to be the export brand (assuming it's the name translation thing).

The only difference between the two is the Rosewood fingerboard/bridge on the Kaka and the Richlite on the Enya - and of course the branding on the headstock.

Now I'm a complete novice. Hundreds of hours of research doesn't replace hands on experience. I'm wondering the difference between the two. The seller I am talking to says that Rosewood is a superior quality (which I am definitely happy to go with), but I liked the look of the black on the blue just a touch better.

If there's a difference in quality, I'll go with the Rosewood - just wanting to get some feedback from the pros!

I've wondered about this. Is Richlite a kind of compressed composite material?

Morning all,

azairvine is correct in saying that Richlite is a paper based composite. It's a variation of a product that has been used for years as kitchen worktop covering, also known as Formica.
Martin and some others make Ukes and guitars from this thin sheet version. Gibson and others have been using Richlite for fingerboards etc for a few years now, especially since the CITES regulations on rosewood tightened a few years ago.
Two of my guitars, Godin A6 and Godin A12 have Richlite fingerboards and I don't notice any difference in play-ability between these and wood.
The only negative, and this is purely a personal aesthetic view, is that I would prefer a slightly matt or textured finish. I'm not a big fan of shiny fingerboards.
From a quality perspective, the use of Richlite on budget priced instruments would guarantee greater consistency over the variables of natural wood.

regards
Vintage

Last edited:
Just had a look at the EUT-MAD on Amazon.
The fingerboard appears to have the non shiny finish I would prefer.
Go for it!

Vintage

Not sure why Richlite gets such a bad rap from many folks. Gibson even uses it on $4000 guitars. I have it on several instruments, and it is an ideal fretboard material, impervious to nails, dirt, lack of humidity, and never shrinks so there is never a concern with fret sprout. I would always specify it if I could. If you happen to get a shiny version and would prefer matte it's easy to lightly scuff it with sandpaper to give that appearance.

Last edited:
Thanks heaps guys! It was purely a cosmetic and instinctual reasoning behind preferring the richlite. Didn't realise it was AKA formica! I just liked the (hopefully) matte black against the gloss blue of the uke. I like the point of the consistency that you made VintageGibson! Though from all I have read, Enya/Kaka have very good workmanship and a product comparable to much more expensive brands.

The seller was advertising Kaka, but as I knew they were rebranded Enya (vice versa) I asked the question - as they come out of the same factory she said she could get either. I guess we'll soon see!

I have an Enya camp uke with the Richlite fretboard. It feels fine and looks nice.

I have a Martin D-Jr guitar with a Richlite fingerboard, and my Blackbird Farallon uke has a similar "composite material". I like both fingerboards, because they look like ebony and play just like wood, plus they don't dry out or get dirty like wood fretboards.

Not sure why Richlite gets such a bad rap from many folks. Gibson even uses it on $4000 guitars. I have it on several instruments, and it is an ideal fretboard material, impervious to nails, dirt, lack of humidity, and never shrinks so there is never a concern with fret sprout. I would always specify it if I could. If you happen to get a shiny version and would prefer matte it's easy to lightly scuff it with sandpaper to give that appearance.
^ This....I'd prefer the Richlite.

Top Bottom