Ever Use a Thumb Protector?

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Over-zealous practicing and playing with a little arthritis, have caused me some serious left thumb pain. Since I refuse to stop, I'm looking for something to use that will let me continue with less pain while playing.

I sometimes wrap it with a stick-to-itself bandage that adds some cushioning, but am looking for something that would be easier to use and might work better. I see Amazon sells an "EvoShield MLB Catcher's Thumb Guard" which might work. Has anyone ever tried something like this?

Last edited:
Which thumb are we talking about? Without knowing any of the variables involved in your situation, my uninformed opinion would be to stop doing what's hurting you. If we're talking about the thumb of the strumming hand, I'd suggest using other more ergonomic fingers to pluck and strum. If we're talking about the fretting thumb, could you use a strap to simplify the role of the thumb. Or what about neck shapes? My ukulele has a somewhat flat back of the neck which makes the thumb's resting place more level and I think it makes the neck less thick as well.

Ed1 -- I just checked out that catcher's thumb guard you mentioned. It seems like that is probably designed to cushion the impact of a hard baseball hitting your thumb area at 80 to 100 mph. I'm not sure that would help with arthritis, like you mentioned in your left thumb. But if it's inexpensive, maybe give it a try. I also have recurring pain (somewhere between an ache and a pain) in my left thumb, and I haven't yet found anything that helps, other than not playing. Since not playing is not an option, I'm just living with it so far. I'll look forward to hearing from others who may respond with solutions.

I too have the arthritis problem in my thumbs. I tolerate the right thumb pain just fine. But the left thumb can be a killer, especially when playing barre chords. I recently drove through California, and picked up some Sagely Naturals CBD Cream. When I know I'm going to be playing, or when it starts hurting too bad, I rub some of the CBD into the base of the thumb. That, together with three Advil gel caps, really calms it down nicely. You can check it out at sagelynaturals.com.

Are we talking about thumb base arthritis? I'm "lucky" to have this in both hands, though it is much worse in my right (which is odd considering that I am left handed). Anyway, I have found thumb braces to be quite a help.

51sw6sOd8uL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RQM5MTL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Besley, I take it that thumb brace in the picture doesn't get in the way when you're playing?

It doesn't get in the way, but it (like your skin) does come in contact with the neck or top/strings. I've been using a right hand one when strumming, and I've covered the hard plastic parts with moleskin to protect the uke's finish.

Use a pick. Get several picks, felt, rubber, thin plastic and use them all. Each will deliver a different sound. Also keep using your thumb, just not all the time, give it a rest by using a pick. Its not rocket science, there is no law that says you are forced to use your thumb all the time.

Sure it will take some getting used to, the sooner you start, the sooner you will start to care for your thumb.

Well yes.....but if his arthritis is like mine it hurts just as much to hold a pick. The next step would be a thumb pick so you don't have to grip it. Haven't tried that yet, but I have one on hand to experiment with.

Be very careful about taking Advil (ibuprofens) during this pandemic. It may weaken your immune system and compromise your ability to fight the an infection. Best to talk to your doctor before taking this medication. Full disclosure: I am NOT a doctor or a medical professional, simply aware that ibuprofen has a particular risk in the current pandemic.

Use a pick. Get several picks, felt, rubber, thin plastic and use them all. Each will deliver a different sound. Also keep using your thumb, just not all the time, give it a rest by using a pick. Its not rocket science, there is no law that says you are forced to use your thumb all the time.

Sure it will take some getting used to, the sooner you start, the sooner you will start to care for your thumb.

OP said it was his left thumb, so I’m assuming that’s his fretting hand, so a pick won’t help.
But maybe he’s left handed, and plays a uke set up for a south paw?

My approach to dealing w/ finger & thumb pain probably isn’t going to be helpful, but I’ll mention anyway that acupuncture helps, (I’m licensed so can do it for myself), magnets help me, (people usually think that’s goofy, but I’m mentioning it anyway), and when not playing, various topical cremes can help. (I don’t use them when playing to avoid getting the cremes on the ukulele.) I have also taped my fingers (flexible tape) on bad days.

I’m very picky about necks, because that makes a big, big difference for me, too. If you have the opportunity to try out different necks, (which you may already have done), try different neck shapes, nut widths, etc. & see if any of that makes a difference. It’s a good excuse for UAS. 😁

The OP said the problem is in his left thumb, which I am assuming is his fretting hand.

Sorry, I just noticed the post before mine covered the same thing.

A lot of good suggestions. I named the thread to try to focus on thumb protectors because over time, I have tried many of the non-protector ideas mentioned here (but not magnets - yet ;-). I have practiced the "no-thumb" approach and it helps, but I find I still need my thumb and want to be able to use it. I liked the Benny Chong video at 2:10, but noticed that earlier in the video he's pushing with his thumb quite forcefully, and has a very bendable first joint.

Thumbs have two joints, and both are problems for me. Besley's protector works for him for the carpal-metacarpal (cmc) joint, and I might try that, including a covering to not damage my ukes. My other thumb joint is painful when bending too far back (like Benny Chong's). So far the best I have found for both is wrapping with a stick-to-itself elastic bandage.

Since not playing and taking anti-inflammatory drugs regularly are not something I'm willing to do at this time (for various reasons), I'll continue to look for the perfect protector that works for me and is easier to use and set up than an elastic wrap.

Thanks again, and if anyone has another or new idea, please let me know.

You might try stretching your thumb(s) before and after you play. (Finger stretches too.) It helps me. Plus I practice in shorter time blocks than I used to. Taking more breaks.

Keeping my hands limber helps. Moving them often to keep the joints active. Also keeps the blood flowing to your hands.

Believe it or not, I found that a hand exerciser, set at a low resistance, also seems to lessen the pain in my thumbs.

Arthritis is a tricky thing and Osteo is very different from Rheumatoid.

Inflammation can also be treated by soaking in ice cold water after you play. (IE: athletes soaking in an ice bath after a game.) You treat swelling with cold.
Loosen your joints, ligaments, tendons & muscles with heat. Before you play and after your cold compress or ice bath. Massage can also be beneficial.
Commercially there are machines that have warm paraffin for soaking your hands and allowing the heat to soothe the aches.

My orthopedic doctor told me that if Glucosamine Chondroitin doesn't begin to help after 2 or 3 months, it probably won't. He said that more recent studies have shown better results with Omega Fatty Acids. But neither are magic bullets. They help some people, somewhat.

The pianist Glenn Gould used to soak his hands in warm to hot water before every performance or recording session to loosen his hands.

For what it is worth , back when I was 10 to 12 , during the time I was taking guitar lessons ,
I had a left thumb problem , it got very painful but I worked through it like the pain in my fingertips.
I remember the nerve pain in my middle fretting finger , whew .
I've been playing ukulele only for the last few years , I took out one of my guitars
and my fingertips were like fat marshmallows , I couldnt do anything with them.

Are we talking about thumb base arthritis? I'm "lucky" to have this in both hands, though it is much worse in my right (which is odd considering that I am left handed). Anyway, I have found thumb braces to be quite a help.

51sw6sOd8uL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RQM5MTL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I was given something similar to this when I was attending the physio department at our local small hospital. It works to a certain extent for me for my right/picking hand and allows me to hold a flatpick as a rare experiment. On my left/fingering hand it was too muchof an encumberance. It was also suggested that I tried the exercises they gave me which,after 3 weeks,seem to help.

Top Bottom