New Ukulele for my daughter

chrisindc

Reaction score
Hi - My 13 year old daughter has been playing the heck out of her little Kala KA-15S and is asking me for an upgrade. She wants something bigger and more resonant and is asking for a tenor sized instrument.

I'm prepared to spend in the ballpark of $200-$300.

One of the best known ukulele retailers recommended one of several solid Kalas in the upper end of that range.

Alternately, I found a used Pono mango tenor online for under $300 for sale from someone who seems knowledgeable and reliable.

Any reason you'd avoid the used instrument? I'm also open to other suggestions.

Thanks much for any advice.

Hawaii Music Supply (theukulelesite.com) has several very nice Kala solid-top tenors in your price range. They do a great setup job before they ship it. Mim's Ukes (mimsukes.com) is always good, but she's been a busy girl and has reached her weekly limit so she's not taking new orders until Friday or so.

I search ot ukes for new members of our uke group at the senior center. In your price range, I always look for a used uke first for them. I've yet to receive a used uke that looks abused at all. I'd look used first without a doubt. As long as it's been setup properly, you should be okay.

Yamaha C40 Classical Guitar. Fit a strap and a pick guard.

This comment I don't understand, but it may be out of ignorance. She wants to stick with the ukulele, not play a guitar.

This comment I don't understand, but it may be out of ignorance. She wants to stick with the ukulele, not play a guitar.

A pair of wirecutters can make easy work of the extra strings

"Yamaha C40 Classical Guitar. Fit a strap and a pick guard."

Yamaha Piaggero NP-32. Buy a stand, and learn to play piano.

If you are able to check out and play the Pono in person before buying it, then there is nothing inherently bad about going the used instrument route. It’s a great way to get a good uke for less money. Otherwise, your best bet would be to buy a new one online from either Mim’s Ukes, Uke Republic, or Hawaii Music Supply (theukulelesite.com). They are all reputable dealers and will do a good set-up on the instrument before sending it to you. A set-up will make a world of difference in playability for your 13 yr. old daughter’s hands, especially given the difference in size going from a soprano to a tenor. Best of luck to you, and your daughter!

Jan

Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
Yamaha C40 Classical Guitar. Fit a strap and a pick guard.

A pair of wirecutters can make easy work of the extra strings

"Yamaha C40 Classical Guitar. Fit a strap and a pick guard."

Yamaha Piaggero NP-32. Buy a stand, and learn to play piano.

Totally off topic - please ignore, (some people don't read the original post, & some try to be funny). :cool:

Thanks for all the earnest help and sorry that the subtle wit of a few of you went over my head. Cheers!

Top Bottom