Tribute - to the most interesting thread ever

Neil_O

Reaction score
Howdy folks,
I have a quandary that I need advice with. Should I get my thick-necked white label tenor shaped into a slimmer shape? I think it is ridiculously thick, and prefer a C-shape neck. I got it on a whim from a UU member, without knowing how it would feel when I picked it up. It is mine now, and I have no particular interest in selling or trading it, but I want to like it more.

I sent it to Kamaka to fix some dings it had, and now the 8 months may stretch out even longer. Since they plan to refinish it anyway, do you think they would entertain a request to change it from a D to a C shape?
Is this just a stupid idea?

Thanks,
Neil

The title of this post refers to a portmanteau of the Risa neck slimming blow by blow ( https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...ost-interesting-thread-EVER&referrerid=152121
) and a song by Tenacious D: https://youtu.be/_lK4cX5xGiQ

So you ask if they can do it, and if the answer is "no", so be it. If the answer is "yes", you end up with a semi-custom Kamaka - a unique instrument. Don't ask unless you really want to know the price.

It's not a stupid idea at all. I get the necks on my instruments shaved down from time to time. A fellow UU member also gets his shaved by the same luthier. It's no big deal to get one shaved and at the most costs me around 75 to 100 dollars. His main concern when checking one out is if it has a truss rod or not. If it does, he makes allowances for it. I doubt kamaka does.

If Kamaka won't do it, I'm sure there are luthiers or competent technicians, in your area, that can. Nice thing about having it shaved locally is you can test the feel before finishing it.

Last edited:
I had an experience with a neck I didn't like, it was a tenor walnut Fluke I bought for $150 in the Marketplace. I wanted a beater uke I could leave out, and after being cajoled by members of my group, when I saw, I bought it. I played it over the next couple of weeks, but couldn't get used to the odd flat neck no matter how much I tried.

Then I saw a post about rounding the neck, so I tried it, but I didn't do a very good job, especially with the finish. I also didn't like the tone of the plastic body and the round edges. I put it aside and after a couple of months, I found an all bamboo uke online for under $100. I bought it and ended up selling the fluke to a member of my group for $50, who says she really likes it. The bamboo one is just right for me.

So I say, ask if they can reshape the neck, which could entail refretting, or do try and sell it in the Marketplace.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

You know, this thread puzzles me. I've played for a long time, and have 60+ Ukuleles ready at hand. I have some $3K instruments, and some $99 instruments. The necks are all different sizes and shapes. I enjoy them all. Sure, some seem easier to play on, some seem easier to hold, some are more or less comfortable than others. But they all do the job, and each one has it's good points. It never occured to me to have a neck shape changed. Seriously, reading this thread is the first time I ever thought about it. So, I'm wondering if the whole idea isn't just a bit over the top. Or, under the fretboard, as it were. Is customizing the neck of a Ukulele something you really want to do as opposed to applying that money to the purchase of another new, and wonderful Ukulele? Just asking.

Another quick thought: I wouldn't want to reshape the neck of a Ukulele unless it was a really fabulous instrument that I wanted to keep forever. And, if it's that good, why change it?

Last edited:
Been playing for 63 years. Wasn't until I got into ukes and custom luthiers the idea of shaping a neck came to mind. Playing so long with hands starting to go, neck shape and feel became more important. Knowing I liked an instrument but not the neck shape makes it easier to decide whether to buy or not. I don't buy too many manufactured instruments anymore, mostly custom. I trust my buying days are over.

Why buy another instrument to take the place of one I like except for the neck profile or feel? Last one I had done was 125 dollars to do. Much cheaper than a new one. I'm sure there are those out there that poo poo getting the action lowered or setups made because they've never played a properly setup instrument. Action too high; just press harder. It's the same with a neck shave; once it's back with a neck how you prefer, it becomes a whole new instrument.

Why 60 instruments George? For myself it may be because I couldn't find one that suited me completely. I doubt I'd have it done on a cheaper instrument unless it was the only thing I didn't like about it. The reason why i would change a fabulous instrument would be because it would make it that more fabulous. I'm sure having a good guitar tech. I trust makes a difference too.

Call Chris Kamaka at the shop and explain it to him. He's usually very accessible.

Neil_O,

I've had 3 ukulele's necks shaved. I did it because they hurt my hand, or to get rid of a gloss finish. But I went from a C shape to a more D shape. Now they are all very comfy.
And none of the ukes cost over $300.
It cost me $40 each, by luthiers. No reason in the world it should cost $125, or even $75.

Kamaka has stopped production of uke’s. Will this affect when you gets yours back?

Top Bottom