An ukulele strap alternative?

It's like a better version of putting a kitchen cabinet rubber mat between the body and back of the uke. When my flight tusl-35 arrives I might buy one it to see how it works and how easy it is to remove.

Hey if it works for you and you are happy playing your uke I say go for it. Two of my ukes are strapped, one is not. I usually play sitting down. I tried the slip strips with my Fluke but a round back and a round belly just kind of helped the Fluke roll around a bit.....I added a strap offered by Magic Fluke and although not fond of velcro once I put it on I have not looked back nor have I taken it off.
My Godin came with strap buttons and with the weight of the instrument I like the strap I have for it. My KoAloha is not strapped. Have not put strap button on it.

Watching the video the device seems to work I didn't catch the price so I that could be a factor. Hot summer playing might be nice to keep body moisture off the back of the Uke, I don't know??

Give a shout out and review when someone gives it a try.

If I use a strap it is because I'm standing up. And one reason is so that my hands can be freed up without trying to find someplace to put the uke. Like to turn a page or swipe a screen, adjust something. So a lot of gizmos like this won't work.

The biggest reason I use a strap is to hold the uke where I want it, at the right angle. So I don't have to worry about controlling the head end of the uke while trying to change chords or hold notes. My fingers are not long enough or nimble enough to keep the neck in the groove between my thumb and fingers and play a chord. And a tenor is just too big to hold it tightly against me and not have it droop. Besides, that dampens the sound generated by the back of uke.

Well, OK, maybe the most important reason is I can grab my beer and drink a bit and not worry about my tenor falling to the floor. :cheers:

and not to be disdained is the strap as an accessory in and of itself. It is a pleasure to look around for just the right strap so that your ukulele can hang and vibrate its music without your arms squeezing it to perdition.

However, I shall tell you what occurred to me as I looked at this thread: in the 80's I took a class on 18th century English literature in which I read about a people who, in order to avoid plowing their fields, would bury truffles in their fields. Then, pigs would smell the truffles and would dig them out thereby overturning the earth and saving the people the trouble of plowing. The youtube inventor is someone burying truffles. His solution is so much more difficult than the problem he is trying to avoid. Just take the 30 seconds and install a strap button. It is easy.

No Way! I can't believe those Velcro stick-ons will come off easily without damage. I think you would need electronics to measure the difference in the loudness from that 3/8" spacing. Magic Fluke Grip Strips hold the uke onto the player, but I wouldn't use even those on a good, wooden uke. "Stickin' To My Uke" makes larger, removable grippy pads that can be removed easily without damage, provided you don't leave them on for days.

I prefer buttons on all my ukuleles, plus a nice strap I bought at ETSY.

By the way.... I wonder if anyone could play a uke in violin position - under the chin - & still be able to reach up & pick/strum it? Thus, the entire uke would be totally free to vibrate. Hmmm... such bodily elasticity should be possible -- when my daughter was about 10, there was a girl in her gymnastics group who actually could sit on her own head.

Someone playing a ukulele in violin position -- now THAT would make a good YouTube video!!!

Last edited:
I use straps because I don't have put down the uke to use my hands. I add my own buttons to even my most expensive ukes, which need them more to avoid inadvertently dropping the uke.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Top Bottom