Sanitizing an ukulele

Nickie

Reaction score
I was speaking with my luthier today. We were discussing plastic ukes, which our group uses more and more to play for hospice and Shriner's patients.
This is because we can wipe them down. I've been considering getting my own Enya Nova composite uke for this very reason.
I complained that my wooden uke (Cocobolo Ukuleles) gets very soiled on the top, no matter how many times I wash my hands.
Since we can't use alcohol on our wooden ukes, she suggested using naphtha. It kills germs, and doesn't mar the finish.
Has anyone tried this?

Last edited:
I really don't like the idea of putting lighter fluid on a ukulele...

It depends on the finish on the uke rather than the material the uke is made of. You don't want to use alcohol on an alcohol soluble finish (shellac, lacquer, polyurethane...). You may get away with it with small amount on a heavy finish, but I'd avoid the risk on anything I cared about.

Naptha's a classic for cleaning guitars and is a safer bet. You won't leave enough on to light the uke - just put a bit on a rag and then wipe. Whatever you use, test first somewhere unobtrusive so you don't get a nasty surprise.

Hydrogen Peroxide is a traditional, safe(safe as can be) and effective sterilising agent that is still being used today in professional circles in misting/fogging/nebulising machines.

I really don't like the idea of putting lighter fluid on a ukulele...

Mim (of Mim's Ukes) uses lighter fluid (Naptha) all the time when she's cleaning up a uke after a setup. Seems to work fine with no ill effects.

Top Bottom