How do i lower my action?

Tfdx

Reaction score
Hi all.
I just recieved my new ukulele (WEIMER CUBAN MAHOGANY)and the action is to high for me.I play with the flesh part of my fingers ,and with the virus outbreak,theirs no way i can have it done professionally.How can i lower the action?

Get down on your hands and knees! (Sorry!!!)

It's critical that you keep the bottom of the saddle flat and the same angle as you started with. Usually, but not always, perpendicular to the front & back sides.

I always wound up with too much off of one end or slightly rounded, even when I used a jig. I only let the pros do it. But my friend adjusts them quite often for himself and others he performs with.

Go very, very slowly. Mark how much you want to remove on the saddle before you start sanding.

It is an all too common mistake for people to think that lower is better. It's not. Lots of problems can come up if the action is lowered too much. Fret buzz, lack of good tone, especially farther up the neck are just a few obvious ones. Something else to keep in mind is that with a new instrument it will settle in as it gets older. If you set it up at the bleeding edge (as too many specialty ukulele shops do) problems will show up as the instrument settles. If there is no wiggle room there are going to be problems down the road. I would much rather have an instrument with a slightly to high action and avoid all that.

be conservative with setting the action and in the long run you will be much happier.

Top Bottom