How do i lower my action?

Tfdx

Reaction score
Hi all, I just received my new ukulele and the action is too high. Their is no way I can have it done professionally with the virus. Is it possible to do myself?

Yes, you can do it yourself . Start with a search on this site and there is a shitload of info.
You could also look at Frets.com for more , I think you have time.
I consider it part of playing a stringed instrument .
This is the time to learn to do it.

Last edited:
As long as you have some sandpaper, just find some good instructions as Pete mentioned. YouTube should have something too. Sanding down the bottom of the saddle is pretty easy. It will get you there if it’s just high at the 12th fret. If it’s high at the nut, that’s a different job.

Firstly, play it as-as for awhile to determine if: a) it is too hard to press strings at the 1st fret, or b) is it really too high "up the neck."

Do buy a 6" machinist scale (a 6" metal ruler) and measure before sanding or filing anything.

Ukulelemate.com suggests: The distance between the strings and the 12th fret should be 2.5mm to 3.0mm in height.

In my limited experience the nut slots, which affect 1st fret feel, are where adjustment is needed. They are intentionally set high, as once you file them lower you can't go back. Same for the saddle. Caution: Each string is different. Nut slot filing errors are non-forgiving.

Do not rush out to find sandpaper for the saddle and frets or tiny files for fret ends and the nut and just go at it. Over the years, I have destroyed more than a few instruments this way by not knowing what I was trying to fix, or how to do it.

Yes, I finally learned (to an extent), but I did relegate some otherwise very playable ukes to the burn pile.

-Wiggy

Last edited:
Agreed: it’s often more important to reduce string height at the nut than at the saddle.
Sadly, the best tools are the nut slot files made for the purpose and the only proper fix for filing nut slots too wide or too low is to replace the nut... which is kind of fun in itself, but takes quite a bit of fussing to do it right.

Top Bottom