Long stalls.

Neither Chrome nor Firefox work for me as well as Safari, except for UU, which is not a good enough reason for me to use those, so I'll live with the hangs. As I mentioned, I still have to upgrade to Catalina, hopefully that version of Safari will work.

I upgraded to Catalina Mike and still get the freezes on UU. Once it freezes up, I have to quit Safari and start over. It's getting to the point when it freezes and I need to start over, I don't go back to UU due to the frustration of it. It's getting to the point I'm going to cancel the automatic resubscribe VIP and just not go on UU anymore.

I upgraded to Catalina Mike and still get the freezes on UU. Once it freezes up, I have to quit Safari and start over. It's getting to the point when it freezes and I need to start over, I don't go back to UU due to the frustration of it. It's getting to the point I'm going to cancel the automatic resubscribe VIP and just not go on UU anymore.

Thanks for the info Pat. I still find UU very useful so I'm sticking here. So far there's no other ukulele place that I find as useful.

I just discovered the only other forum I attend that's on vBulletin, the Guitar Forum Bass section, does the same thing. So it's vBulletin with the problem.

Last edited:
I just did a little research and found a few notices that older versions of vBulletin cause problems with Safari. I also found a couple of people who suggest to delete the problem site from Safari's AutoFill list. I went to Preferences>AutoFill then clicked Other Forms... Edit button and deleted .ukuleleunderground.com. We'll see if that did any good.

I just went through every new post on three pages and no stalls, which have been happening more and more lately. I'm hoping this is the remedy.

Last edited:
Just hit a stall, damn. What a pain in the rear. I'm going to do more research about vBulletin.

Last edited:
Turn off the Auto Fill functions (unless you really need them)

The following advice from Cnet; https://www.cnet.com/news/speeding-...ning-pinwheels-other-performance-bottlenecks/

AutoFill clutter Safari can stall when loading pages with forms (or even pages without forms) due to bottlenecks caused by the AutoFill function. If you are noticing particular slowness on pages with forms, try going to the Safari menu within Safari, and select Preferences, then click on the AutoFill tab. Turn off some or all of the options and check for persistence of the slowdown.

If you choose to leave AutoFill options turned on, you may periodically want to click the Edit button next to Other Forms in the same preference tab and delete some or all of the entries (sites for which Safari will attempt to use AutoFill).

Clearing AutoFill clutter is particularly useful for otherwise inexplicable, repeated spinning pinwheel progress indicators

It ^*@#$% didn't work! What really aggravates me is I love this forum, and Safari is so much better than Chrome or Firefox, I'm just going to live with quitting and relaunching Safari whenever it happens. I'm sure it's because the forum is done in vBulletin 4, which is not supported anymore. I'm assuming that the UU admins can't upgrade to version 5.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that it didn't work. Yes, this site is powered by vBulletin 4.2.5 which isn't supported by vBulletin anymore so the only fix from them would be an upgrade to v5x. I don't think Safari will spend any time to resolve issues with an unsupported web site engine either.

As I understand it upgrading vBulletin 4.2.5, while not impossible, is not for the faint of heart as the underlying MySQL database and PHP language versions may also have to be upgraded. Various vBulletin 4.2.5 plugins change as well.

The hanging keeps happening so I realized since I have Keyboard Maestro, a macro app that automates actions, I created a macro that when I touch F5 in Safari, it quits, relaunches it, pastes and goes to the UU New Posts window, does it very fast.

Top Bottom