Long stalls.

I just tested Firefox and so far there have been no stalls, it also activates a new tab and it shows that I visited a post. I have it set to start on UU New Posts and will use it for now.

I keep thinking the title of this thread refers to toilet stall doors that go all the way to the floor, like in an old men's club.

I have been experiencing the same problems as Mike, and only on the UU Forum site. It’s not simply that the site’s response time is slower. The page just completely freezes up. Multiple times per visit. Each time it happens, I have to close down Safari, then start it up again, and log back onto the UU site. And yes, I have cleared the cache, etc. on my iPad (multiple times), but it doesn’t fix the problem. It’s frustrating, and keeps me from enjoying, and participating on, the UU site to the degree I normally would. But I will persist, because y’all are my family. Just wanted Mike to know he’s not alone.

Jan

I have been experiencing the same problems as Mike, and only on the UU Forum site. It’s not simply that the site’s response time is slower. The page just completely freezes up. Multiple times per visit. Each time it happens, I have to close down Safari, then start it up again, and log back onto the UU site. And yes, I have cleared the cache, etc. on my iPad (multiple times), but it doesn’t fix the problem. It’s frustrating, and keeps me from enjoying, and participating on, the UU site to the degree I normally would. But I will persist, because y’all are my family. Just wanted Mike to know he’s not alone.

Jan

This might be a Safari security setting issue. Mike's stall problem seems to be solved by switching to Firefox.

I experience the same as Mike and Jan has. Getting to the point where I may cancel my yearly donation and go elsewhere or just go to Acoustic Guitar Forum. I feel it may be UU wants us to go to their new site rather than staying here.

I have been experiencing the same problems as Mike, and only on the UU Forum site. It’s not simply that the site’s response time is slower. The page just completely freezes up. Multiple times per visit. Each time it happens, I have to close down Safari, then start it up again, and log back onto the UU site. And yes, I have cleared the cache, etc. on my iPad (multiple times), but it doesn’t fix the problem. It’s frustrating, and keeps me from enjoying, and participating on, the UU site to the degree I normally would. But I will persist, because y’all are my family. Just wanted Mike to know he’s not alone. Jan

Thanks, exactly what happens to me.

This might be a Safari security setting issue. Mike's stall problem seems to be solved by switching to Firefox.

It did, but I'm not liking Firefox, from one session to another it does not change the color of threads I visited. So far the best browser I've ever used is Safari, other than this recent UU glitch.

I experience the same as Mike and Jan has. Getting to the point where I may cancel my yearly donation and go elsewhere or just go to Acoustic Guitar Forum. I feel it may be UU wants us to go to their new site rather than staying here.

For what UU brings to the table, no other site I've visited compares, Ukulele Cosmos is not at all satisfying to me, especially with the attitude of some of the original members, and most posts have nothing to do with the ukulele. I imagine if UU goes away and many more of us use Cosmos, we would bring the site in a more satisfying direction. One thing I really don't like is not being able to embed a video in a reply, it only uses links to another site.

It really could be a Safari issue. My MacBook is a work computer, and we haven’t upgraded to the latest greatest MacOS. I’ve noticed Safari stopping it’s support of some third party vendors or features within (it doesn’t allow me to use audio in Zoom, for instance). I use Chrome or Firefox when those issues arise, and either works for me.

It really could be a Safari issue. My MacBook is a work computer, and we haven’t upgraded to the latest greatest MacOS. I’ve noticed Safari stopping it’s support of some third party vendors or features within (it doesn’t allow me to use audio in Zoom, for instance). I use Chrome or Firefox when those issues arise, and either works for me.

It's definitely a Safari issue. I'm going to research if there's anyway to get around it.

Last edited:
I think I may have discovered the problem, maybe. I went to preferences>Websites>Pop-up Windows and changed the setting for UU from Block to Allow. We'll see if that fixes it.

Last edited:
I think that solved it. I just went through 61 threads in New Posts, clicking the current post of each thread and also clicked back and forth on the three page listings, which is where I always got hung up. So far I've not had a single hang.

I think I may have discovered the problem, maybe. I went to preferences>Websites>Pop-up Windows and changed the setting for UU from Block to Allow. We'll see if that fixes it.

Mike,

I have looked on both my iPad Air and the UU website and cannot find anything called “Preferences.” Any suggestions?

Jan

Mike, I have looked on both my iPad Air and the UU website and cannot find anything called “Preferences.” Any suggestions?-Jan

If you don't have a problem with Safari stalling, don't bother with it, but I was only talking about Safari on a Mac computer with Mac OS. With iOS for iPad and iPhone, you get to preferences by touching the Settings icon, then scroll to Safari, touch it to see all the preference choices. One is Block Pop-ups, but it either blocks all web site pop-ups or not, you can't control individual sites.

So this is only happening when using Apple products - particularly their Safari web browser - I don't think there is anything that Rayan/UU can do about that.

You'll need to get in touch with Apple about the problem, use another web browser that does work properly, or use a different computer O/S.

I don't have any problems using Linux & Firefox.

So this is only happening when using Apple products - particularly their Safari web browser - I don't think there is anything that Rayan/UU can do about that. You'll need to get in touch with Apple about the problem, use another web browser that does work properly, or use a different computer O/S. I don't have any problems using Linux & Firefox.

Just hoping that Rayan may have heard about a work around. I do plan on contacting Apple, but my logic says since it only happens with the UU forum, never in any other site, to me it's a UU problem. This started to happen only after UU went down and came back up with the announcement that they're looking to make changes.

Safari is the best browser I've ever used, neither Firefox nor Chrome is as efficient, and my experience with other operating systems is the same, Mac OS is the most efficient there is. When I find something that's the most efficient, I pay up for it. I've used a Mac since 1986 and did IT work for years for a number of companies, but this one glitch is driving me nuts.

Last edited:
Called Apple. After a variety of trouble shooting, all of which I already did, the only other suggestion made is to upgrade to Catalina OS, but I can't because I have one vital app that's 32 bit.

Next effort from a suggestion online, is to change my DNS Server, which I just did, from 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 to 208.67.222.222/208.67.220.220.

It's not your Mac. It's the UU server: cuts out constantly for me at home and work. Appears it can only handle a small number of requests. After all, this is a busy forum, whereas most forums barely putt along or died years ago, replaced by social media and YouTube.

Just learned a possible workaround. When the stall happens, I wait for the message cannot connect to server, I choose back, then forward and it connects. Going to see if that continues to work.

Top Bottom