Long stalls.

Well, it just happened again, so I agree, it has to be the forum server.

It seems that every time the UU site goes down due to a security issue the folks the run the site add additional security. This latest go around may be causing a handshaking issue with older versions of Safari's otherwise excellent lookup and caching algorithms. And so, yes it may be the UU server's latest settings that are responsible for your Safari stalls.

All that said, The UU server and forum is a great resource for all things and people ukulele given to us for free by volunteers that may be tiring of the job.

Please don't be the the straw that breaks the camel's back.

It seems that every time the UU site goes down due to a security issue the folks the run the site add additional security. This latest go around may be causing a handshaking issue with older versions of Safari's otherwise excellent lookup and caching algorithms. And so, yes it may be the UU server's latest settings that are responsible for your Safari stalls. All that said, The UU server and forum is a great resource for all things and people ukulele given to us for free by volunteers that may be tiring of the job. Please don't be the the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Please don't get me wrong, I think UU is a great place, so much better than Cosmos and certainly the chat one, put the name out of my head. I also just looked at the Facebook group Ubass Freaks, but Facebook is essentially the same, just a long chat that's a pain in a** to navigate. My intention is to point out the issue, then look for a reasonable way to deal with it, either quit Safari and reconnect, or wait for the cannot connect message and go back.

I'll also add that I firmly believe, if a forum provides valuable information and interaction, I will pay whatever is asked, which if you add it up, is literally pennies a day. I pay Gold Member for UU, also for TalkBass and Nikon.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, my iPad is less than a year old, so it has the latest version of Safari — but the stalls/crashes still continue to happen regularly.

I'm running OS 10.15.4 (latest system) on an iMac Pro and spinning beachball stalls on this site—and only this site—happen regularly and often. Everything else normally rips uninterrupted.

I just received a notice to update Safari and security settings. Maybe that will fix my hang problems, which has been happening more and more lately.

This may be interesting. I tried using Safari from my iPhoneX and it was fine until I clicked a link that went away the UU site. On return to UU it started stalling. UU worked fine again after restarting Safari.

ymmv

This may be interesting. I tried using Safari from my iPhoneX and it was fine until I clicked a link that went away the UU site. On return to UU it started stalling. UU worked fine again after restarting Safari.

ymmv

Wouldn't it be odd if UU and IOS didn't work well together?

I am grateful to the author for the post, since I started a lot of useful information for myself.

So far no remedies, it's still hanging, more so lately. I've been reluctant to move to Mac OS Catalina, but maybe that will work when I eventually do it.

What exactly do you mean by a "stall"?

I click a link in UU and Safari starts to go, but stops and hangs there for a very long time until the massage, "cannot connect to server" comes up. Does that now two to three times a session. I have to Quit Safari and re-click that link to get it to work. As I mentioned, it only happens with UU.

I click a link in UU and Safari starts to go, but stops and hangs there for a very long time until the massage, "cannot connect to server" comes up. Does that now two to three times a session. I have to Quit Safari and re-click that link to get it to work. As I mentioned, it only happens with UU.

Ah! What I experience is a long time waiting for a post to get processed. On other forums, I click "Post," and it posts. No big deal, though. And no "long stalls" for me.

It continues to happen to me, on a fairly new iPad Air with the current version of Safari. I love the UU Forum, but the site stalls repeatedly, and the required process each time — “quit Safari, re-launch Safari, login again to the UU Forum website” — is becoming very tiresome.

It continues to happen to me, on a fairly new iPad Air with the current version of Safari. I love the UU Forum, but the site stalls repeatedly, and the required process each time — “quit Safari, re-launch Safari, login again to the UU Forum website” — is becoming very tiresome.

Well, the obvious solution is to buy a Windows computer. ;)

I just realized that when I go on the forum using my iMac, I don't have a problem. I don't know what OS it has, but it's a 2011, and I can't use the latest OS.

Or switch to Firefox. It's a free download.

I'm running OS 10.15.4 (latest system) on an iMac Pro and spinning beachball stalls on this site—and only this site—happen regularly and often. Everything else normally rips uninterrupted.

Yes, I find stalls are a regular occurrence

Have seen the same issue as reported on ios (iPAD) and MacOS (iMAC pro) using Safari. Been this way for a few months. I am experimenting by switching to Chrome.

I've noticed stalls on this site when using Safari too. Firefox seems to be immune perhaps because it's an "open source" browser and therefore has a huge base of independent developers supporting the browser code. Commercial browsers are closed source and are supported exclusively by company coders who can only work on what management tells them to work on. The UU site apparently isn't high on the management priority list for Apple's Safari browser.

Top Bottom