A couple of questions

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Q1- I read that "normal" ukulele tuning would be G4 C4 E4 A4. Is this linear or re-entry tuning?
~~~~~~~~~~~~

On my baritones, after MUCH trial & error, I decided that my baritones had the best resonance & tonality when they were A tuned. Now I'm trying to find the same info for a tenor with standard-size, double bout body. Help me out please (if you have an opinion).

Q2- With a Low G 4th string, which tuning would likely give a tenor uke's body size the best resonance & tonality: C, B, Bb, A?

Last edited:
Q1- I read that "normal" ukulele tuning would be G4 C4 E4 A4. Is this linear or re-entry tuning?
~~~~~~~~~~~~

On my baritones, after MUCH trial & error, I decided that my baritones had the best resonance & tonality when they were A tuned. Now I'm trying to find the same info for a tenor with standard-size, double bout body. Help me out please (if you have an opinion).

Q2- With a Low G 4th string, which tuning would likely give a tenor uke's body size the best resonance & tonality: C, B, Bb, A?

A1: that re-entrant tuning. Linear tuning would be G3 C4 E4 A4
A2: for me and my tenors I like E4 A4 C#5 F#5 or down half a step to D G# C F, But I do that for a tension that will allow me bends and glissandi rather than resonance and tonality

Download an app called "vocal pitch recorder". Then just play with it.

A1: that's re-entrant tuning. Linear tuning would be G3 C4 E4 A4
... ..
C4 is piano's middle C, right?

... ...A2: for me and my tenors I like E4 A4 C#5 F#5 or down half a step to D G# C F
Ah, so -- then which of those 2 tunings sounds better to your ears, & why do you think that is? Resonance? Fullness? Warmth? or... what?

Last edited:
Ah, so -- then which of those 2 tunings sounds better to your ears, & why do you think that is? Resonance? Fullness? Warmth? or... what?

I'm not going for sound whatsoever; I'm going for a string tension I like. I merely accept the pitch as the ukulele's natural voice at that tension. I like the E tuning for one tenor and the D# for my Kamaka because of how it feels on my fingers. The difference might be due to the different string sets I am using. The Kamaka is using Fremonts whilst the other tenor has Worths. My usual modus operandi is to tighten the A string until i get a feel I like, then I tune the other strings to match the A string. For example, at one time I even downtuned a tenor to CFAD, 7 half-steps down from GCEA. It was very muddy and primitive, but the chords were too buzzy. Just to sum up, depending on the brand of the strings, or on whether I use tenor strings or concert strings, I downtune to get a feel that I like. The actual sound to me is just a by-product. The reason for this is that I am mainly a finger picker who plays Roots music. If i were more of a strummer, I would imagine that I would probably just downtune a half-step to F# B D# G# to keep those strings tight and resonant and chime-y. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but our goals are far too divergent.

Low G gives you a G3, 5 half steps below C4; best resonance & tonality would depend on the wood & the strings used.

Another option would be tuning to DGBE, linear, like on a regular baritone, there used to be some string sets available.

Top Bottom