YouTube Channel

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
After many years away from it I am publishing shorts on YouTube. It has a pretentious title and credits I know - pretty shameless. The music is an original composition by Tom Ziegenspeck and me no less - even more shameless but I'll credit that here just once - this is enough bragging. Watch this clever trick first revealed long ago by Dan Erlewine.

Try here for better quality videos and general content very useful for people who look here...[video]https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/[/video]

Last edited:
Wish I'd thought of it. Richard Cross showed it to me and said he had seen Dan do it. I know it has been surpassed by content makers on YouTube...yet Frank Ford's site: frets.com and is another gold mine rarely visited or even mentioned these days. It was the first real glimpse at what a professional with years in the trade had learned. No video content, everything so out of date as far as the website is concerned but it so relevant in content, everyone who is anyone should go there first for their general luthiery questions. I met Frank in 2016 (we go way back but I had never met him IRL) who wanted to proudly show me his bass banjo - he engineered every metal part. Legends eh?

I visit Frank Ford's site often as it's a treasure trove of solutions, ideas and common sense, something that is uncommon these days. He's helped me a few times when I was stuck with a problem
And, he's a nice man. One of a kind and a legend indeed.

It was another Freddie Cisneros luthier Guitarist who let Dan know about that trick..I remember him saying so in the demo. issue #118 2010
I use it a lot on ebony saddles but as they are only 1/16 inch wide I finish them off with a fret crowning file.

Last edited:
So 4 steps awsy from the source? Thanks for your corrective insights Ken.

LOVE IT!

Thanks, Pete!!

Top Bottom