Flight TUSL-35 Concert Scale Soprano Arrived - Yuck!

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Flight TUSL-35 Concert Scale Soprano Arrived - Problems

This good looking ukulele arrived today. Every review I read liked it a lot.
However mine has a string height at .75 at the 1st fret and over 3.0 at the 12th. The intonation is terrible just about everywhere, including the 12th fret harmonics. At first I thought it would be fun to lower the strings, figuring the worst case would be ruining a cheap ukulele, but with all the intonation problems and others liking this model out of the box, I thought I would ask here:

Did I get a lemon and should I return this or should I keep it? Trying to fix it might be more than I am capable.

Last edited:
However mine has a string height at .75 at the 1st fret and over 3.0 at the 12th. The intonation is terrible just about everywhere, including the 12th fret harmonics. At first I thought it would be fun to lower the strings, figuring the worst case would be ruining a cheap ukulele, but with all the intonation problems and others liking this model out of the box, I thought I would ask here:

Did I get a lemon and should I return this (Amazon Prime - easy return), or should I keep it? Trying to fix it might be more than I am capable.

Ah the curse of Amazon, where instruments are sold as they come out of the factory, no adjustments made.

I assume this is like my soprano. If so, bridge is one piece and not removable to sand down. Nut is same, though you could sand the slots.

I would return it since it is not an easy fix and you do not like it.

Send it back. Please consider buying an ukulele from a reputable dealer instead of Amazon. It doesn't need your money, our small dealers do.

I have to admit that I'm one of the people that likes the TUS and TUSL and have been recommending them to others. I don't feel bad; they also have been reviewed favorably by Barry Maz.

Ed--I'm not questioning you or doubting you in any way. I've now seen two negative posts about the TUS models here on UU, and that's concerning to me.

What I'd ask, simply out of curiosity, is if you could send it back and ask for a replacement to see if the next one was more agreeable to you, or if it would also not meet your expectations for action and intonation. You may not want to deal with that--and I can't even recommend that course of action. I'm just curious.

I will say that this current generation of TUS and now the TUSL have a removable bridge, which could be sanded down like any other bridge. I agree that you shouldn't have to do that--just mentioning that you can. But I wonder if that would make your experience with intonation any different.

For people who are wondering how different plastic ukuleles could have different set-ups, it comes down to a replaceable saddle and for some reason some of them are too high. I know that Flight will continue to address the issue...they listen to their buyers, which is why they went away from the original molded compensated saddle.

I don't know where you sit in terms of intonation and your sensitivity to it. There are ukuleles that play more in tune and those that don't, but there are also people who have extreme sensitivity to intonation. The reality is that there is no such thing as a fretted instrument that plays perfectly in tune, but there are definitely instruments that come much closer to that (and some that don't even approach the concept).

So, that's why I'd ask you to send it back and get a replacement, just to see if the action and intonation are better (for you).

Did I get a lemon and should I return this (Amazon Prime - easy return), or should I keep it? Trying to fix it might be more than I am capable.

I had that exact problem. Love my TUS35, but sent that one back

Hi,

Flight team here.

Very sorry to hear that. TUSL is a new model, which was released recently. We received some feedback regarding the higher action height on some items, so we are looking into the production and what might went wrong. In the meantime, we can send you a new lower/compensated saddle, which will help the problem.

We support purchasing our ukes through your local stores, as we do not supply Amazon, but some of the USA dealers do sell there.

Sorry again, please let us know regarding the new saddle.

thanks and stay safe !

Hi,

Flight team here.

Very sorry to hear that. TUSL is a new model, which was released recently. We received some feedback regarding the higher action height on some items, so we are looking into the production and what might went wrong. In the meantime, we can send you a new lower/compensated saddle, which will help the problem.

We support purchasing our ukes through your local stores, as we do not supply Amazon, but some of the USA dealers do sell there.

Sorry again, please let us know regarding the new saddle.

thanks and stay safe !

Well, Since I was willing to try to fix it on my own (before the 12th fret harmonic intonation issues caught my attention), I'll be happy to exchange it for one that's within limits. I trust the reviewers here and I know they have been happy with the TUSL-35s they have reviewed. I'll send you a PM with my information.

Flight has been attentive and kind to replace my TUSL-35 saddle. (Thank you Flight Team). The other issue here is that some folks aren't happy that I bought it through Amazon. Since I do frequent the smaller music stores in my area during non COVID-19 times, I didn't know at this time where I could buy this ukulele. If those of you who know where one can buy a Flight TUSL-35 online -or wiith a phone call - please let us know. You might save others from doing what I did. I'm not anti-Amazon, but I agree it makes sense to help the small music dealers - and other small businesses - when one can.

Last edited:
Flight has been attentive and kind to replace my TUSL-35. (Thank you Flight Team). The other issue here is that some folks aren't happy that I bought it through Amazon. Since I do frequent the smaller music stores in my area during non COVID-19 times, I didn't know at this time where I could buy this ukulele. If those of you who know where one can buy a Flight TUSL-35 online -or wiith a phone call - please let us know. You might save others from doing what I did. I'm not anti-Amazon, but I agree it makes sense to help the small music dealers - and other small businesses - when one can.

Hmm, wonder what I've got to look forward to. As I was sitting on my couch yesterday waiting for my TUSL-35 to arrive, self-isolating all day, I got an email from UPS saying "sorry we missed you". How exactly did you miss me? Some efficiency algorithm doesn't allow them to drive down a certain street until they've accumulated 'x' number of packages to deliver there?

I guess I'll get my TUSL on Monday and see how the action is. Nice to know they'll send a new saddle if there's an issue.

As far as buying locally or from a small shop, I couldn't even find anywhere in Canada that sold it, except for a questionable online-only retailer. I bought mine from Music Room in Europe, Flight's recommended dealer. Amazon.ca wasn't an option. I doubt Ed's options for buying a Flight were much better. If it was an option for me, I probably would have gone through Amazon to get free shipping and save $20 on duty fees. Shipping and fees added 38% on top of the instrument cost. Adds up when you're buying a low-end instrument.

I had a TUS35 for a while that was quite nice for the price. The action was a bit high though, but not bad. Sounded good and was very playable. I enjoyed it greatly...but just let it go to try something else. I don't keep a lot of instruments around at one time.

As to the issues: You'd think a build like this would be consistent...but then again since there's some wood in the top, albeit laminate, there could be some variations.
I also wonder about the neck angle. Concert scale would mean higher tension on the strings, so that alone could cause some movement and action raising if you're trying to do things just like with the soprano. That is something that would have to be correct during assembly. If it's the case some compensation for a concert scale would need to be made. Just and idea and maybe something for the Flight team to consider.
Another possibility could be how the neck is flexing. That could also vary depending on strings used.

I've played around with this kind of thing with an Enya guitar I have that has a removable bolt-on neck (like some of the ukes). You can shim it to change angle and it directly effects the action.

Hopefully all this gets worked out because I really do think Flight has something good with these...or at least the soprano. I haven't played the concert so can't say.

I've never owned an 'ukulele at any price that didn't need an action adjustment when new. The setup is often left on the high side to accommodate heavy strummer/pickers. Those with a lighter touch will simply need to lower the nut and saddle—easier than raising the action (requires a new nut and saddle). I prefer 2.75 to 3mm at the 12th fret so I'm one of those players in need of extra dynamic range! Joel at HMS mentioned that, for many of his older customers, the setup is 2.25 to 2.5mm at the 12th fret for ease of playing—I'd be buzzing like crazy...

As for intonation at the 12th fret (octave) you might change strings after the action adjustment and check again. I've had new high quality strings—Pepe Romero and Worth Browns—that were untrue and really off up the neck. Tried another set and all was well...

I prefer 2.75 to 3mm at the 12th fret so I'm one of those players in need of extra dynamic range! Joel at HMS mentioned that, for many of his older customers, the setup is 2.25 to 2.5mm at the 12th fret for ease of playing—I'd be buzzing like crazy..

Yes, I've noticed that many of the best known players like a higher setup. The HMS folks even chuckled on one of their podcasts about how high Tobias Elof likes his setup.

For me, being older, a lower setup is better. My last new uke came from HMS, and asking for a low setup gave me the closest to "like butter" I've ever had.

I can live with 2.75 if set up correctly as on my Kanile'a concert, but more than that and .75 at the 1st is just too much for me. So I was willing to try to make changes including the nut, but gave up the idea when the harmonics at the 12th were off - a lot.

Finally, I tried to change the title of this thread to replace "Yuck" with "Problem" but it doesn't seem possible. Flight was nice enough to respond here (and offer a new saddle) and I thought it would be nice to soften the title a little. They emailed me writing that "Only a few items have higher actions." So, I've decided to return the uke to Amazon, wait until I can go shopping to my local music stores and see if they have one. It may be a while, but it seems like the best way to buy one without this problem.

Last edited:
Yes, I've noticed that many of the best known players like a higher setup. The HMS folks even chuckled on one of their podcasts about how high Tobias Elof likes his setup.

For me, being older, a lower setup is better. My last new uke came from HMS, and asking for a low setup gave me the closest to "like butter" I've ever had.

I can live with 2.75 if set up correctly as on my Kanile'a concert, but more than that and .75 at the 1st is just too much for me. So I was willing to try to make changes including the nut, but gave up the idea when the harmonics at the 12th were off - a lot.

Finally, I tried to change the title of this thread to replace "Yuck" with "Problem" but it doesn't seem possible. Flight was nice enough to respond here (and offer a new saddle) and I thought it would be nice to soften the title a little. They emailed me writing that "Only a few items have higher actions." So, I've decided to return the uke to Amazon, wait until I can go shopping to my local music stores and see if they have one. It may be a while, but it seems like the best way to buy one without this problem.

Keep in mind that stores are receiving these items from distribution, not directly from Flight. We received a full shipment of both soprano and concert scale (TUS and TUSL) that required saddle replacement to get back in spec. With the replacements we see 2.5mm at the 12th on the TUS and 2.75ish mm on the TUSL. The replacement is incredibly simple. Having received a bulk bag of replacement saddles, we have correct action units in stock.

Could you not have tried before buying? It amazes me how many people buy stuff, then get a refund or whatever.

Could you not have tried before buying? It amazes me how many people buy stuff, then get a refund or whatever.

Wouldn't that be a perfect world? Most of us in North America would consider ourselves lucky if we only had to drive from Land's End to John O'Groats to see the ukulele we want in person. I live in a metropolitan area of 2.5 million and still have limited opportunity to try very many brands.

Shipping is much cheaper, more convenient (and lower carbon, if that's your thing) than a week long road trip.

I'd have bought fewer ukes over the years if I was able to try them first - my wallet and wife would have appreciated that.

I'm fortunate insomuch as I live on the same island as HMS and a short drive to the Kamaka and Kanile'a showrooms. 99.9999999...% of the earth's population lack local music shops selling 'ukuleles, so online buying is the best they can do. It's similar for many other specialized hobbies: nothing in stock so you have to special order or buy online, e.g., most of my camera gear I have to buy online.

I'm fortunate insomuch as I live on the same island as HMS and a short drive to the Kamaka and Kanile'a showrooms. 99.9999999...% of the earth's population lack local music shops selling 'ukuleles, so online buying is the best they can do. It's similar for many other specialized hobbies: nothing in stock so you have to special order or buy online, e.g., most of my camera gear I have to buy online.

Actually, ukulele is a full-out phenomenon with stores selling them across the planet at an amazing pace. The question is the quality available, but I know of brands like Flight that are quite active in countries other than the US...and not just Europe, too. That said, most of the world doesn’t have easy access to “K” brand ukuleles, or even a lot of the wonderful mid-range ukulele valued over $300.

I just received mine this week,
flight.jpg
Does it looks high to you guys?
I'm pretty new to ukulele's and i have nothing to mesure it.
I wanted something easy to play since i'm just starting.

Attachments

• lsxNlhI.jpg
    lsxNlhI.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom