NUD: tenor CBU

tonyturley

Reaction score
I wanted a quick, easy to construct project for a tenor neck and fretboard I've had bouncing around in a drawer for a while, so I grabbed a cheap Avo cigar box through eBay, braced it like I would a regular tenor uke, and glued it all together. I threw on a set of cheap Amazon tuners, added a bridge from my spares box, and made a nut from a bone scrap. The strings are a set of Aquila nylgut, with a silver wound classical D used for a low G.

It isn't an acoustic gem, but it doesn't sound awful for a box with a plywood lid. I doubt I'll convert another cigar box to a uke, but it was a fun little project. I just have to keep tweaking the strings for a few days until they settle. I will say the cheap Amazon tuners are the worst tuners I have ever used. They feel like they have sand in them. I might as well have just lit a $10 bill on fire. I'll wait a week or two and see if the uke will hold tune, but I won't be surprised if I end up having to replace the tuners.

internals.jpgCBU.jpg

Very cool! I love stuff like this.

Fun project. Colorful.

Yet somewhere out there, in a cold and inhospitable world, there is a tenor ukulele lying forlorn upon the ground—without a neck... :(

Top Bottom