Season 425: The Idiot Box

Good evening (at least in The Bay Area) all. We are up to 55 songs by my count, but don’t trust it. I went through everything again and am pretty sure I have posted everything to the playlist, including music from the Sopranos but not the theme to Sesame Street. Thanks for re-posting it here though Eric, it’s a beaut.

Thanks also for your renditions of John Prine songs. I’ve decided not to split them out from the TV themes, just for ease of hosting duties. I will catch up on comments tomorrow. That is for a fun week so far.

a cross-continental collaborative tribute to John Prine we made today.
featuring Kevin on electric baritone and harmony, Willie on bass (both in Texas, USA);
Joo on harmony and who did all the artwork and made the film (in Singapore)
and myself on acoustic guitar and baritone ukuleles (in Tasmania, Australia).
devastated. what else can we do but honour him in the only way we know how.

View from the shed to keep the peace. Cos in the house ,there be dragons !!
Straight into the camcorder of 90s vintage and a dubious USB mic in a hastily converted shed studio....well reformatted back into a studio.......Alias Smith and Jones is the tune...
After some impromptu Ted Rogers and a certain show popped up...

I seem to remember that game show CJ. 3 2 1 was that the one with Dusty Bin as a charecter ? Saturday or Sunday evening viewing. Great to see a banjo uke out to play !!

A few weeks ago, for Ylle's "memory/remember" season, I did "Remember You're a Womble". Apart from here in the UK, I think this was met with a worldwide wave of bewilderment. So, to reinforce the positive recycling messages that the Wombles gave out, here is the theme tune from their TV series. (Ran out of puff on the outro whistle, apologies to Mike Batt if he's watching)

Happy Days theme song from Two Little Woodpeckers!

Last edited:
Here is my take on the Blackadder theme
I have been trying the Flintstones but can't (yet) get hang of the middle bit.
Anyway, here is Blackadder

Thanks for the inspiration, Andy! This is a great song and your season lead me to it.

Two Sherlock Holmes Themes in one video: BBC's Sherlock (2010) by David Arnold and Overture from Russian TV series "The Adeventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson" (1979) by Vladimir Dashkevich

(I learned that it's difficult to play uke when chewing a pipe.)

The Ballad Of Jed Clampit. Theme to The Beverley Hillbillies.

This was one that I thought surely someone will do the Jed Clampit thrme.I would have had a go myself on the banjo uke but I have no recording gear and I would no doubt make a hash of it anyway, just love these season threads thanks for posting folks.

This was one that I thought surely someone will do the Jed Clampit thrme.I would have had a go myself on the banjo uke but I have no recording gear and I would no doubt make a hash of it anyway, just love these season threads thanks for posting folks.

in honour of a hero to me

AUTUMN LEAVES

Can you see those headlights coming over that old hill in Illinois?
Can you see the stars all glowing up above?
Though the moon has shed it's skin, I can still hear you sing
Of the lives we've lost and those who we have loved

This world will go on turning and the seasons they will change
Right now it's hard to picture how they'll do
We all come home my friend, at our summer's end
And I will leave a light on for you

Some things hit you like a sideways glance and you can ride it out
Some things cut you open and strip you bare
Some things we understand and some things we just can't
We're autumn leaves that float upon the air
We're all autumn leaves

We all got a place where we were born and raised
Are you with those stars all glowing up above?
Though the moon has shed it's skin I can still hear you sing
Of the lives we've lost and those who we have loved

Jon and i had fun recording this today. :)
Hope everyone is safe and well.

Apologies for the further interruption, but I have declared an extra winner for season 424 - please check it out, especially if if you go by the name of UkeFoote! :)
Cheers!

Here's an original. Memories of the early days of black and white TV. A lot of my early TV viewing was black and white American TV - so that is reflected here. Nothing autobiographical here except the love of old TV and the escapism it afforded. See how many shows and other TV themes you old codgers can find referenced. The Andy mentioned is not you Forum Andy:). Sorry about the background noise... a big rainstorm while I was recording. And this JP dedicates it to the great JP.

An out of towner he had few friends
but that big glass tube helped to make amends
Friday night was drinking night his parents would scrap and fight
he'd escape with Zorro into a full moon night

This monochrome world ain't so bad
Mr Ed and Wibur never seem sad
speeding bullets Superman can outpace
there's a whipcrack in his cape

Last night Opie wore a shirt just like his
And stole Andy's last root beer out of Aunt Bea's fridge
He wished his dad was a sheriff just like Andy too
But I guess that selling brushes is what some dads like to do

Mr Ed and Wibur never seem sad
speeding bullets Superman can outpace
there's a whipcrack in his cape

Sometimes he wants to scare himself Twilight Zone is best
There's Monsters out on Maple street and Martians in a dress
Gunfighters sporting pompadours Jim Bowie had a powerful hand
And Daniel Boon what can I say he was a very big man
This Monochrome world...

Last edited:
Dear Camperman, i enjoyed listening to your entry but your comments were turned off.
Nice sound from your recording.:)

Right then - throwing ourselves on the merciful kindness and tolerance of our honourable hostliness Andy with this one. Allow me to explain:

Last week I wrote an instrumental piece on keyboards using mainly orchestral sounds and posted it on the ‘other instruments’ sub-forum. One of the comments it received suggested that it sounded like the theme tune for a spy film. So when I saw the theme for this week I asked Kev (Mezcalero) if he might add some of his uke magic, which he did (thanks again Kev!). So here we have a ready-made theme tune for the next TV spy series to be made - whenever and whatever that may be!

Obviously entirely up to Andy whether this can be included as a valid entry and happy to accept his judgement without question. :)

Top Bottom