Season 425: The Idiot Box

I’m going to add this to the playlist, but it was not the theme music to the show (unless it was a 1-off played under the end credits).

One more time, for the folks in the back:
The song MUST BE opening or closing credits tv show music. NOT songs played during an episode. THEME MUSIC ONLY.

Looks like I broke two rules. I turned up an hour early... clocks changed in Finland and I am so used to posting at 12 o'clock Finnish time.
And then I misread the opening statement that it should only be opening and closing songs... as penance I am going to stand on the naughty stair for 10 minutes.... and please don't tell matron.

Looks like I broke two rules. I turned up an hour early... clocks changed in Finland and I am so used to posting at 12 o'clock Finnish time.
And then I misread the opening statement that it should only be opening and closing songs... as penance I am going to stand on the naughty stair for 10 minutes.... and please don't tell matron.

No apologies needed, and no one reported anything to the matron :)
I didn’t even look at the time! After 3 weeks of shelter in place and work from home I’m lucky if I can name the day.

State Trooper

When the Sopranos first came out, I thought the first two series was one of the best things I'd ever seen on TV. But that's where it should have ended (after two series, like "Life on Mars" or "Ashes to Ashes" - or indeed "Fawlty Towers"(!)). Instead, it turned into a soap. A soap with a higher than average body-count, but still a soap. I gave up half-way through Series 3. You can understand why HBO didn't want to kill the goose that's laying such golden eggs, but the story arc over the first two series was such that Tony Soprano had to be dead or in custody by the end of the second series (two series of 13 episodes each! 26 episodes is plenty for a drama. 85 episodes is a soap).

But while the series did still hold my attention, one of the things I particularly admired was its use of music in the closing credits - none more so than in the Series 1 finale.

Last edited:
No apologies needed, and no one reported anything to the matron :)
I didn’t even look at the time! After 3 weeks of shelter in place and work from home I’m lucky if I can name the day.

Yeah, name that day could definitely stump me 6 days a week these days :)

"Love is All Around," the theme from the Mary Tyler Moore Show, was released on the country charts by the composer Sonny Curtis twice, once in 1970 and again in 1980. The version used for the show was shorter and more pop-flavored.

Don't believe I've seen the show - the theme song went through a few different versions with different series but I liked the Aretha Franklin one -

This one sounds even more wonderful while isolated from so much of life. Version three here. Let's get about twenty more, yeah?

Love, strength, and health to you!

Barney Miller, a 70's cop sit-com, may not have made it across the pond, but its theme song has one of the all-time great bass lines.
When I got my U-bass, it was the first thing I tried to learn how to play. In the original, there's a great guitar solo that i'd have no chance of playing myself, so I just improvised around the F-A-C triad...

And I've deleted the video becuase something much better is on the next page...

Last edited:
Thanks for a great Aston day everyone. We’re off to a great start with 17 contributions already, including three takes on the theme from Cheers. The playlist should be up to date to here. If I left you off it was an accident. Let me know and I will fix it ASAP.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Well, I'm watching British TV like you, Keith ... via satellite. Perhaps I'm less discerning than you?

With my past experience of French tv I'm not surprised you watch UK stuff but even ours is a bit banal at times and how often do we need news bulletins. Thank goodness for stuff like UU and similar.

This was actually one of the first songs that sprang to mind and is fast becoming the week’s anthem! Stuck to the one verse here. Cheers everybody! :)

Match of the day is a tv program that airs in the U.K. on a Saturday night and is a preview of the days soccer matches

Better Barney Miller

Barney Miller, a 70's cop sit-com, may not have made it across the pond, but its theme song has one of the all-time great bass lines.
When I got my U-bass, it was the first thing I tried to learn how to play. In the original, there's a great guitar solo that i'd have no chance of playing myself, so I just improvised around the F-A-C triad...

;;;Deja Vu?;;;;

That plinking of mine wasn't worthy of the bass line. Kevin Griffin had recently contacted me regarding online teaching (I didn't even know he was a teacher!) Knowing he's American, he;d know Barney Miller. Then it went to Jon, and here we have, the much improved...

Top Bottom