Ukulele Cosmos Forum

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I heard about Ukulele Cosmos (UC) forum from UU VIP member ukantor.

I gave UC a look, liked what I saw, so I registered and made a first post. I got several VERY friendly responses so I would say that the UC forum is very much alive and active.

I shall continue to support UU as long as it exists but I will also visit UC forum regularly. I love to support stuff that supports ukulele playing and ukulele fans, and I love the give & take of uke forums.

I still have high hopes that Rayan and his team will come up with a way to keep UU going. I will gladly give my share of financial support to such an effort.

I am getting "this site is insecure" messages on my browser when I start to register. Anybody at UC mentioning this as a problem?

I just signed up, but got no such warning.

I am getting "this site is insecure" messages on my browser when I start to register. Anybody at UC mentioning this as a problem?

Hello. I don't post here much but I am a regular Ukulele Cosmos user (we call ourselves cosmonauts!).

The "insecure website" message is because we don't use secure http. You wouldn't want to put your bank details into such a website, but for a forum it's fine.

We'd love to see some of you. :D

Yes, that site is insecure. The security or insecurity status of any website can be discerned by the site's address (its URL). UU is secure so its address begins with "https". Ukulele Cosmos (UC) is not secure so its address begins with "http". As you will see, the difference is the "s" for secure.

For further explanation, see THIS article.

The security or insecurity of a forum is of little significance unless we are revealing personal information or sensitive data. And we are NOT doing that, are we? However, in this day of rampant identity theft (etc.), it would be prudent for every website to convert to https (s=secure). Even so, as the new kid on the block at UC forum, I am not going to start making suggestions for site improvement just yet.

Last edited:
I signed up this morning. Seems like a nice bunch of ukers. Not sure how much time I'll spend if I spread myself too thin.

I peek at Discord now and then, but I'm not a Seasons player so not much to look at right now. Hopefully something else will spin off of UU. This is where I spend most of my ukulele time online. The few Facebook groups I saw weren't worth having to keep a Facebook account. Reddit is just a little too much opinion, not enough knowledge.

Apparently, I am a member of Ukulele Cosmos...., but as the board said:Last visit was: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:39 pm

I'll look around. I noticed in the intro from "Beepers", it suggested ukuleleunderground.com "if you want a more heavily moderated forum".

Personally, I think it is kinda loose here - we are generally adults, and act that way, after all...

-Kurt​

For anyone thinking of joining, I'm one of the moderators on the Cosmos. We have to approve you because it keeps out spammers, but there are only three of us moderating so apologies if it takes some time - depends on which of us is looking in that day.

In terms of tone - rather more like adults down the pub (we're UK-based), but don't let that put you off. Just be prepared for mockery if you're over-serious :)

In terms of tone - rather more like adults down the pub (we're UK-based), but don't let that put you off. Just be prepared for mockery if you're over-serious :)

Oh no. After living in Canada for 20 years I might now be too sensitive to take the sarcasm.;) I am being kind of serious. ;)

ID theft is serious shenanigans. I joined ID Shield years ago, and I feel pretty safe. I've heard personal horror stories from people who lost their ID, they had no protection.
I'm always amazed at the people who post personal stuff on Facebook, wow! One of my 'friends' did so much of it, I blocked her, so she wouldn't post mine. She knew too much, so I had to eliminate her, LOL. I don't have much to hide, well, maybe my crappy ukulele skills, but there's just some stuff the rest of the world doesn't need to know!
I'm having nothing to do with Discord, but I do want to start posting videos here as soon as I learn how to do that, and can make a video that people would wanna see!
I enjoy mockery, as long as it is in fun, and doesn't hurt anyone. So, mock on!

You are welcome to as much of my ID as you can find on Ukulele Cosmos. :D

With the Cosmos, people join and get scared off because we come across as rude, but really it just looks this way as we've all known each other personally IRL for years and years. Some of my best friends are people I know from the forum.

I checked out the Ukulele Cosmos forum several years ago and was very turned off by the amount of negativity, hatred and profanity. This thread damning James Hill (and the UU) is just one small example of why it’s not a scene that interests me.

http://www.ukulelecosmos.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31105

Scooter

I see this on the register page:

"This board has no forums."

For anyone thinking of joining, I'm one of the moderators on the Cosmos. We have to approve you because it keeps out spammers, but there are only three of us moderating so apologies if it takes some time - depends on which of us is looking in that day.

I think that that is a fair description of Cosmos, or at least the start of one. My experience of Cosmos is that whilst it might have hundreds of members it functions as small forum with a core group of active posters who hold very similar ideas and, like adults down a (small U.K.) pub, you either fit in there or eventually leave and find another place to be your local. In my experience it’s quite unlike any other forum that I’ve ever been a member of, that’s not to intentionally be negative but rather to understand and share both its unique nature and ‘your’ need to work with that nature.

I wish Cosmos well and might try posting there again, but if I do so it will be with be a better understanding of its pluses and minuses. My advice to any new member of Cosmos now would be to just read posts for the first few months and then to decide whether or not you are a good match for that ‘Pub’. As in all things YMMV.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I just joined as lgarcia.

Top Bottom