Ukulele Cosmos Forum

I'm waiting for you to be unpleasant, Nickie.

(You're a retired nurse; I'm a retired paramedic. I bet we're both glad to be retired, at the moment. Of course, I'm currently working for an urban school district...)

-Kurt​

I certainly wouldn't call past or present cosmonauts 'unpleasant'. The atmosphere is very different, more poking fun at each other, nudging, winking, word puns, a lot of technical knowledge and people building or restoring their own instruments, and much less showing what you've got or can, and less beginners using 'cowboy chords'.

The main page states the Ukulelecosmos forum 'may contain nuts', and that gives you a fair warning.

ukulelekarsi,
that's a pretty accurate summary of the Cosmos.
I signed up in 2011 and a lot of "characters" have come and gone since then.
The two forums are completely different, the Cosmos is definitely more about conversation and banter than listing ukes.
I would advise anyone here of a more sensitive nature who is interested, to lurk around the Cosmos for a few days and get a feel for the ambiance before joining.

Vintage

The main page states the Ukulelecosmos forum 'may contain nuts', and that gives you a fair warning.

You could interpret ‘may contain nuts’ as a joke instead - as I did - but why copy other people’s mistakes? To be honest most folk will likely be fine enough there just so long as they understand the nature of the place, accept it for what it is and act accordingly.

Last edited:
I joined Uke Cosmos yesterday and already made a few posts. The threads I saw seemed to be very similar to those here on UU. When I'm finished here, I'm going there to see if my posts showed up yet. I feel like Rayan and the crew are going to come up with something, but if not, I will fully move to Cosmos. I deleted my account with Discord.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
"known as their rottweiler" - That statement implies some kind of approval, or affection. For some, maybe, but as a long time Cosmonaut, I'd like to say, Keith, that he was not 'our' anything. Just a foul mouthed, obnoxious malcontent. He chose to post on Cosmos for a while - now he doesn't. Good riddance.

John Colter

I certainly wouldn't call past or present cosmonauts 'unpleasant'. The atmosphere is very different, more poking fun at each other, nudging, winking, word puns, a lot of technical knowledge and people building or restoring their own instruments, and much less showing what you've got or can, and less beginners using 'cowboy chords'.

As in all things tastes and experiences vary, I can very much believe Croaky Keith’s experience of the Cosmos but also see elements that overlap strongly with yours. At the end of the day it is what it is and what it is is not a polite English Team Room and more like a small Pub in a poorer part of Town. There are folk there (like JC) to respect and to cross the road to greet, but their are also some folk who it’s just best not to interacted with. On UU you find the former and hardly any of the later.

As I’ve said before most folk will be fine on the Cosmos, just so long as they understand its different nature and act accordingly.

Last edited:
As in all things tastes and experiences vary, I can very much believe Croaky Keith’s experience of the Cosmos but also see elements that overlap strongly with yours. At the end of the day it is what it is and what it is is not a polite English Team Room and more like a small Pub in a poorer part of Town. There are folk there (like JC) to respect and to cross the road to greet, but their are also some folk who it’s just best not to interacted with. On UU you find the former and hardly any of the later.

As I’ve said before most folk will be fine on the Cosmos, just so long as they understand its different nature and act accordingly.

You guys are starting peak my interest. Where exactly is this little imaginary pub? Newton Abbot, Gateshead, Norf Landon, Cumberland? All wite geezer! :)

Northants? forget it :)

You guys are starting peak my interest. Where exactly is this little imaginary pub? Newton Abbot, Gateshead, Norf Landon, Cumberland? All wite geezer! :)

Northants? forget it :)

Where is anything on-line. I think of of it as Metropolitan in nature and London centric, but your impression could well be completely different to mine - maybe you’ll be more accurate too. If you’re really interested then the best thing for you to do is join, observe and if you think that you’ll fit in there then eventually join in some of the conversations. Cosmos is very different from UU but that (difference) suits some folk and they are happy on Cosmos, why not just sign-up there and see if it works for you?

Last edited:
My interest is piqued as well. Once the UU show is over I'll join Cosmos. I'm not great at multitasking etc.

I haven't been to cosmos for a long time. I'm sort of monogamous. There's only so much conversation about strings, straps, and setups I can process at one time. Recently I started going to an acoustic guitar forum and guess what, the same conversations. I thought that was interesting. But I like it here fine, and something tells me that UU will be around for a while longer.

I prefer UU to Cosmos as well. But - the guys and gals there are mostly Brits. It's kinda interesting, they're helpful too, like UU people.

I prefer UU to Cosmos as well. But - the guys and gals there are mostly Brits. It's kinda interesting, they're helpful too, like UU people.

Another preference here for UU too, but that’s not to be negative about Cosmos but rather to be realistic about what’s the better fit for me. Cosmos does have some female members but I find that they rarely contribute, IMHO UU has a better balance between male and female. Nationality wise Cosmos certainly has USA nationals on it who are active and maybe some Brits now resident in North America too. It also has active members from Continental Europe. In my little experience of it Cosmos members don’t represent Brits and are just folk who have gravitated towards a forum that suits them. In my estimation there are far more active Brits on UU than Cosmos.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying Cosmos a lot but prefer UU, all things considered. Some of the Cosmos folks are a bit salty at times. Peppery, too.

I'm enjoying Cosmos a lot but prefer UU, all things considered. Some of the Cosmos folks are a bit salty at times. Peppery, too.

That generally matches my experience too. To be even handed though there are also some kind, able and knowledgeable people on Cosmos, so so long as you understand the nature of the place and act accordingly you’ll learn a lot there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom