Because so many of us love John Prine...

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
John's wife, Fiona posted this on twitter:

“This is John’s 8th day in ICU. He is receiving excellent medical care and being treated with kindness and compassion by the entire team looking after him day and night. I cannot be with him which makes this nightmare all the more distressing. As you know, John was put on a ventilator last Saturday. He still needs quite a bit of help with his breathing. Like many patients currently in ICU beds all around the world, John has pneumonia in both lungs. He has also developed some peripheral issues that are being treated with meds, including antibiotics. He is very ill and yet I remain hopeful that he can continue to fight this devastating virus and come home where we can care for him. I don’t have the words to adequately Thank You all for the outpouring of love and prayers that John and our family have received this last week. Please continue to send Love, Prayers and Positive Energy to John. He needs us now more than ever. John loves you and I love you too.”
— Fiona Whelan Prine (@FionaPrine) April 3, 2020

Thanks for sharing her Twitter post! I don't have twitter so I would likely not see it otherwise.

I'm learning one of his songs now! I'm hoping he pulls through this, wishing everyone safety and wellness ~

Thanks for posting that. I’m a big fan of Prine, & am saddened to hear that he is on a ventilator. It’s not looking like he’ll have a positive outcome, but one can still hope. He has written so many incredible songs. He has given us a great gift.

There is going to be a lot of heartbreak from this pandemic. I hope that everyone here is doing well & staying safe.

Thanks for the update. I had been following John's progress on Facebook but haven't seen much lately. Because he's fought cancer a few times and he's had other health issues, John is one of the people for whom Covid-19 can be especially devastating. I wish that as a country we had taken this virus more seriously before so many people had been exposed to it, especially high-risk people like John. It's great to hear that he's receiving the best treatment possible, and we can only hope that he can continue to fight this.

Our ukulele group plays a bunch of his songs -- Hello In There, Donald And Lydia (two of my personal favorites), Dear Abby, Illegal Smiles, and, of course, Angel From Montgomery. We're not meeting now (trying to sort out whether an online meetup using Zoom will work for us), but if we were we'd be playing his songs to send positive vibes out into the world. I plan to play these songs while sheltering in place.

Stay safe everyone.

Stephen Colbert let viewers know about it March 31, then showed a never broadcast clip of both him and Prine singing, "That’s the Way the World Goes Round.”

I wish him well.

I play and listen to John Prine regularly. vonbiber was kind enough to share his John Prine tabs with us. If John Prine makes it through this illness I'm sure we will hear a great song from him about it all, if not perhaps we'll get to hear him on the other side.

For now play his songs, wish him and his well, send prayers and smoke.........

For a while, I lived in Chicago a couple blocks from where he first played. I still listen to his (and Steve Goodman's) earliest music the most - except for Tree of Forgiveness, which is one great album. Thanks for sharing his wife's post.

John lives just across the Bay from us, and is loved and revered here. We're all pulling for him. He is truly a national treasure. I Think:shaka: he's gonna make it.

40 years ago I was a single parent with two three year old boys. When we would go for a drive in the pickup truck, they would say, "Hey Papa, sing that Blow Up Your TV song." They loved Spanish Pipe Dream.
They are now 43 and both are musicians. I shared Spanish Pipe Dream with some friends on Zoom last Thursday. First time in a decade, but I remembered the words.

I have no idea who John Prine is but I hope he's ok

John has passed away. So sad.
He sure left us with an amazing catalog of music,though. RIP, John.

I just read on line - John passed away today, at the age of 73.

Here's the link from Variety

Happy Trails, John - you have meant so much to me over the years.

"When I die, let my ashes float down the Green River
Let my soul float on up to the Rochester Dam
I'll be halfway to Heaven. with Paradise waiting
Just five miles away from wherever I am."
Paradise, by John Prine​

So sorry to hear that John Prine passed on. I was really hoping he would recover but past health issues were most likely working against him with this horrible virus ravaging the world. RIP John.

Top Bottom