Tenor Ukulele Suggestions?

Elizjm

Reaction score
Hi! I’m 17 and I’ve had my soprano ukulele for about three and a half years (I got it for Christmas). My parents said I could get a new one as my graduation present and that I could pick but... I’m totally lost. All I have figured out is that I want a tenor ukulele, otherwise all I’m good at is pointing at a uke and going “OOOH PRETTY!”, I’m just not experienced enough to know what makes a good ukulele. Does anyone have a tenor uke that they really like, or any suggestions for ones I should look at (or where I should look)?

I like my Mainland mahogany tenor with its pretty rope binding. It is the Classic mahogany gloss finish version. The ukulele has a nice ringing tone and is good for fingerpicking and strumming. I added side marker dot stickers to the neck. The ukes from Mainland are well set up. They are a very good value for a solid wood instrument.

https://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

Last edited:
The Kala solid mahogany series is always a go-to. Worth looking at.

It would be nice to know some specs before making a suggestion. I understand that the uke would be a present but can you give an estimation about the maximum price it should cost? What kind of sound would you prefer for the uke? What kind of soprano do you have now and do you enjoy its sound or would you prefer something different? A tenor typically has a more resonant sound compared to a soprano which makes it appear deeper in sound even if it really isn't. It's also typically louder than a soprano. And obviously the fretboard is longer (while not necessarily wider).

Personally, I don't feel comfortable making specific suggestions without knowing something about the preferences of the player.

Last edited:
What’s your price range?

In the $150-$400 range, you can get some solid-top or all laminate ukuleles. Much of the Kala stuff is in this range. Córdoba also makes some in this range as well. This is just my opinion, but I avoid most of the brands in this range that I didn’t list.

In the $400-$600 range, you can get an all-solid ukulele from brands like Pono, Ohana, Pepe Romero Creations, Islander, Magic Fluke, and some nicer Kalas.

In the $600-$1000 range, you can get almost any Pono, Koaloha Opio, nicer Pepe Romero Creations, and Rebel.

$1,000+ puts you into the handmade Hawaiian brands like Kamaka, Kanilea, and Koaloha, as well as others.

What kind of sound do you like? Mahogany is warm, spruce is crisp, and everything else is in between.

I’d go to The Ukulele Site and listen to their videos for different ukes. That’s the best online place to explore. If you have a good ukulele store (there aren’t too many, but they are out there) that carries the above brands, I’d go play a few there.

Good luck, and congrats on your graduation! I’m sorry you had to experience it in the midst of all this malarkey.

I absolutely love my tenor Koa Fluke!

Flukes and Fleas sound great, look really funky, are extremely easy to play and come in a huge range of top designs, including the option of having your own artwork printed on the top! They also happen to be made in Massachusetts by some of the nicest people in the Ukulele world.

https://www.magicfluke.com/Fluke-s/1477.htm

Here’s the UU’s definitive thread on all things from the Magic Fluke Company.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...ion-thread&highlight=Magic+Fluke+appreciation

Scooter

Last edited:
See the thread in Uke Talk re: Kala KA-ASCP -T. Get it quick, it's a heck of a buy.

Find your price point, listen to sound samples, congrats on getting through with one phase of life and going through the door to the next phase......take an instrument along for the long haul....

When I asked my musically knowledgeable and experienced spouse a few years back what kind of ukulele got get--there were so many options I didn't know where to turn--she said at least get one with a solid wood top. I did and have never looked back.....

I've bought directly from Magic Fluke, Mim's Uke's and HMS-the Ukulele Site. All have given me fine high quality service. Go with a known purveyor of these little leaping fleas, regardless of size.

My acoustic tenor is a KoAloha--- low G---I am very happy with it.

I like my Kala Tenor KA ATP CTG CE
I would STRONGLY suggest that you consider a cutaway and solid wood over laminate.
My opinion, other options enhance but are less important.
Good luck and let us know.

Top Bottom