Ortega? Baton rouge? Mahalo? Which for begginers? Help!

Lvci

Reaction score
I'm looking for ukulele in a good price. I've read many opinions and ranks, but it's still hard too choose since they all tell something else. Interested in the concert size. I'm also fond on black and dark ukuleles.

Here are the ukuleles I'm considering:

-Baton Rouge Noir NU1C-BK
maple

-Ortega rucoal
okoume

-Mahalo MH2-TBK
sengon and rosewood

Can you recommend any of these? Which would be better?

Having read numerous negative reviews of Mahalo ukes I would pick one of the first two, or perhaps something from Kala, Tanglewood, Flight Snail or Brunswick, if you can get them (Brunswick have a nice dark mahogany uke-I have one, its superb straight from the box)

Around that $50 to $100 price point, I usually recommend Flight and Baton Rouge first, Kala/Makala and Ohana second. Mahalo has quite a bad reputation so I'd steer away from those. Ortega is more hit and miss, probably a brand that gets you a better uke at slightly over that $100 mark.

As ever, the Flight TUSL 35 has one of the best price-quality-ratios if you don't mind the soprano body (it's concert scale) and the plastic back and sides (soundboard is wood): https://flightmusic.com/product/flight-tusl35-black-travel-concert-scale-soprano-ukulele/
For the Baton Rouge, I would check the V1-C models. It's slightly more expensive than the one you mentioned but should be better quality and comes in black (or goth, as they call it).
No idea if Kala or Ohana have a black or darker stained models at that price range.

Which has better quality? Flight TUSL 35 or Baton Rouge V1-C?

I would probably go with an online shop with a good reputation who sets up the instruments. It would be much better than going sight unseen or getting a decent instrument which has been set up poorly or not at all. You can tell the shop your desires and ask for recommendations. Both of these would be great choices-

https://www.mimsukes.com

https://www.ukerepublic.com

I don't think it's possible to determine some nebulous universal quality for the ukes I mentioned. Again, it's up to your personal preference. If you're ok with the soprano body and plastic back and sides (and fretboard which I forgot to mention), the Flight is excellent value, especially for the price. If you prefer the concert sized body and a fully wooden uke (even if just laminate), the Baton Rouge might be better for you. These are considerations you need to think about yourself. I certainly can't make the choice for you. And of course, these were just a couple of recommendations. There are so many different ukes even from the same brands around that price point. And whatever you choose, it's preferable to order from reputable shops, as EDW mentioned above. This way you're more likely to get a good quality uke, whatever your choice is.

Id very much avoid Ortega and Mahalo on QC grounds. Yes, you can get QC issues with ANY brand (even high end). But I have a LOT of ukes come through my hands and you start to see patterns. Some invest less of their money in QC and it shows. Doen's mean you can't get a good one, and doesn't mean good QC brands don't release bad ones.. but...

It's all about the chances.

One thing I will say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a laminate uke. Especially the smaller ones. And they won't be prone to humidity

I went with Baton Rouge v1-c goth. I love how it looks and prefer a fully wooden ukulele. Thanks for the info everyone

Top Bottom