Thread: Ortega? Baton rouge? Mahalo? Which for begginers? Help!

Question Ortega? Baton rouge? Mahalo? Which for begginers? Help!

I'm looking for ukulele in a good price. I've read many opinions and ranks, but it's still hard too choose since they all tell something else. Interested in the concert size. I'm also fond on black and dark ukuleles.

Here are the ukuleles I'm considering:

-Baton Rouge Noir NU1C-BK
    maple

-Ortega rucoal
    okoume

-Mahalo MH2-TBK
    sengon and rosewood

Can you recommend any of these? Which would be better?

Having read numerous negative reviews of Mahalo ukes I would pick one of the first two, or perhaps something from Kala, Tanglewood, Flight Snail or Brunswick, if you can get them (Brunswick have a nice dark mahogany uke-I have one, its superb straight from the box)
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone called Kalua
    Fender DG5 Dreadnought guitar named Tilly
    Tanglewood Discovery guitar
    Valencia hybrid classical guitar

My Music Blog

Around that $50 to $100 price point, I usually recommend Flight and Baton Rouge first, Kala/Makala and Ohana second. Mahalo has quite a bad reputation so I'd steer away from those. Ortega is more hit and miss, probably a brand that gets you a better uke at slightly over that $100 mark.

As ever, the Flight TUSL 35 has one of the best price-quality-ratios if you don't mind the soprano body (it's concert scale) and the plastic back and sides (soundboard is wood): https://flightmusic.com/product/flig...prano-ukulele/
    For the Baton Rouge, I would check the V1-C models. It's slightly more expensive than the one you mentioned but should be better quality and comes in black (or goth, as they call it).
    No idea if Kala or Ohana have a black or darker stained models at that price range.

Which has better quality? Flight TUSL 35 or Baton Rouge V1-C?

I think you'd have to try them and see.

My Music Blog

I would probably go with an online shop with a good reputation who sets up the instruments. It would be much better than going sight unseen or getting a decent instrument which has been set up poorly or not at all. You can tell the shop your desires and ask for recommendations. Both of these would be great choices-

https://www.mimsukes.com

https://www.ukerepublic.com

I don't think it's possible to determine some nebulous universal quality for the ukes I mentioned. Again, it's up to your personal preference. If you're ok with the soprano body and plastic back and sides (and fretboard which I forgot to mention), the Flight is excellent value, especially for the price. If you prefer the concert sized body and a fully wooden uke (even if just laminate), the Baton Rouge might be better for you. These are considerations you need to think about yourself. I certainly can't make the choice for you. And of course, these were just a couple of recommendations. There are so many different ukes even from the same brands around that price point. And whatever you choose, it's preferable to order from reputable shops, as EDW mentioned above. This way you're more likely to get a good quality uke, whatever your choice is.

Id very much avoid Ortega and Mahalo on QC grounds. Yes, you can get QC issues with ANY brand (even high end). But I have a LOT of ukes come through my hands and you start to see patterns. Some invest less of their money in QC and it shows. Doen's mean you can't get a good one, and doesn't mean good QC brands don't release bad ones.. but...

It's all about the chances.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

One thing I will say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a laminate uke. Especially the smaller ones. And they won't be prone to humidity

My Music Blog

I went with Baton Rouge v1-c goth. I love how it looks and prefer a fully wooden ukulele. Thanks for the info everyone

Thread Information