Jake's Ukulele Strap

tejastani

Reaction score
Pricey at 74 bucks, But the brass "hook" serves as a pickguard. Tried to post a picture, but UU says it's spam. UU is the most user unfriendly site.

I don't wear a jakestrap.

John Colter

Last edited:
What's the point? From the picture it looks as though the ukulele will fall if he lifts his right arm up. My strap costs around $80, the same as his approximately, but mine is made from leather that is thick enough to hoist an engine, it is festooned with beautifully contrived designs, and it allows me to use both my hands to adjust music on the music stand, re-light a cigar, or whatever other musical task that requires ambidexterity. I'm a fish-or-cut-bait kind of guy. Either strap or don't strap.

That sure doesn't look like $75 bucks worth. It looks like something you would make for a 9th grade metal shop project.

I use a strap similar to the one Jake uses. I only use it on my KoAloha Tenor. I purchased the uke last November while in Hawaii. It was a scratch and dent and the price was really good. There's a slight ding on the headstock. I didn't want to install a pickup or strap buttons so I bought an appropriate strap. It takes some getting used to, much different feel than using a traditional strap. I don't feel comfortable playing with this strap while standing.

I didn't want to install a pickup or strap buttons so I bought an appropriate strap.

Serious question: What is is about a having strap button installed on your ukulele that bothers you? If you had a nice guitar would you not want a strap button?
I don't feel comfortable playing with this strap while standing.
Then what's the point of using it if you're not comfortable playing it while standing?

Serious question: What is is about a having strap button installed on your ukulele that bothers you? If you had a nice guitar would you not want a strap button?

Then what's the point of using it if you're not comfortable playing it while standing?

As for question 1, I have nothing against strap buttons. I have a Kamaka and a Kanilea Tenor as well. I use a traditional strap, I hook on end around the headstock and the other end on the pickup jack.
Question 2. I do most of my practicing and performing sitting down. I do perform standing up but am more comfortable with the traditional strap. Because they have pickups I use the Kanilea or Kamaka for performing.
I thought about having a pickup and strap buttons in stalled on the KoAloha but decided to save a few $$.

I use a strap similar to the one Jake uses. I only use it on my KoAloha Tenor. I purchased the uke last November while in Hawaii. It was a scratch and dent and the price was really good. There's a slight ding on the headstock. I didn't want to install a pickup or strap buttons so I bought an appropriate strap. It takes some getting used to, much different feel than using a traditional strap. I don't feel comfortable playing with this strap while standing.

Whatever works for you is correct.

I hate the thong with a clip type of strap. The tenor uke ALWAYS tries to do a face plant if I forget to hold it tightly to me with one of my arms. Two managed to do so. One, a Fender Nohea, when the plastic clip broke. The other, a Pono ATD when I stood up and, yep, forgot to grab it as I did so.

I used to play with a strap button on the bottom and tie the other end around the headstock. First with a shoelace and later with a mini strap and the strap went over the button on it. (A real metal button, not a bulbous peg.)

After a year, I was getting more and more annoyed with having the strap attached at the headstock. It seemed to get in the way a lot. So, I installed a button on the side of a heel and started playing with the strap attached at the heel and the butt. Much more gooder. Now every one of my ukes has two buttons, or a heel button and a Jack/button.

I like to use 2" guitar straps on my tenors. I tried the 1.5" Ukulele straps, but they bother my shoulder too much. Besides, there are way more cool looking guitar straps than there are ukulele straps.

Jake's strap clip did not distract or flash much when I saw him in concert. It was a matte brass. The glare from his gloss Kamaka was far worse.

I have used the classical style like Jakes strap from first Uke I purchased. I call it “ classical” because the concept was borrowed from a classical guitar. See Willy Nelson’s strap on Trigger. I prefer the name”sound hole” strap. I love them. I use my right elbow against the Uke body to hold in place when my left hand leaves the neck. Very steady, simple technique to get on with! I like the simplicity of the sound hole Strap. I purchased several nice $20 versions and they work great. Jakes look cool. I wouldn’t pay $79 USD for one. That’s just me. Also, I’m not sure I’d like metal on my Uke. I would like to see a moulded plastic version of the “buckle looking” end that attaches to Uke.

I’d like to see poster with leather end post a picture. I think that piece in Leather could be very cool and practical.

I do use a regular mandolin strap on my TT attached to the head stock. I rigged up Velcro loop to it so comes of super easy. I installed guitar strap button on heal. Very simple and easy to do. I went this rout as sound hole strap just doesn’t work with the curves of the Tiny Tenor.

My experience, my .02 cents worth. Cheers

My new Gold Tone Resouke arrived just before the world went pear-shaped.
My other two ukes are on soft leather straps with leather bootlace ends, but since these materials are not at present available I had to use my initiative ...
And a colourful silk neckerchief.
Since the other two straps fasten to the headstocks, and get in the way somewhat, I decided to make and fit two strap buttons -- (Hey, I´m a blacksmith, what could possibly go wrong ?)
Fortunately all went well, and because the material was too long, some dangles down below the instrument in a frivolous fashion, which I find not unbecoming.
In an excess of satisfaction I find that although I am totally smitten with my new ukulele, I appreciate the Ohana and the Uluru even more than I did because their individuality is somehow even more clear to me.
All three are such lovely creatures that I fear entering the music room one day to find that one of them has been eaten by the double bass.

I have one and love it on my kamaka.Its a lot more stable than your typical hook.If you use a pick ,thumb pick or fingerpicks it protects the finish(I play a lot of blues)yes it's pricey ,I got mine around 90.but if you want to protect a 3000 dollar ukulele without drilling holes in it,it's worth it.Just make sure u attach a small piece of cleaning cloth on the underside of the plate.

Top Bottom