WRC sticker stain

hoji

Reaction score
Sorry, two threads in one day. :)
Anyone know if it's possible to get "sticker" stains out of western red cedar? Major mistake, I used plywood for drying stickers. I thought maybe they would sand out, but it doesn't seem to be working. Got two stripes on this top, across the lower and upper bouts, if you can see in the photo.KIMG0794.jpg

Might have to live and learn...:(

Is it more that the soundboard has oxidised (aged due to UV exposure and air) as they look lighter than the rest. If that's the case then give the soundboard time to get a tan and even out.

Also have you tried giving it a wipe with a solvent to wet it out and see if they are still visible?

Is it more that the soundboard has oxidised (aged due to UV exposure and air) as they look lighter than the rest. If that's the case then give the soundboard time to get a tan and even out.

Also have you tried giving it a wipe with a solvent to wet it out and see if they are still visible?

Yes, I think that's what it is - the rest of the board oxidized more then the stickered places. So I'm going to wait and see what letting it air out and get some light exposure does.

I did wet another scrap piece that has the same issue and it seemed to just make it more pronounced.

Now that I think about it, I realize what I did. I put the top on upside down. :). The side I planed down to thickness should have been the outer, "show" side. Instead I worked the inside of the board, as would be typical to not marr the good side.

Oh well. Next one will be better.

You probably already know this, but luthiers always mark the sides of their plates with a little upside down 'v' to indicate show sides and down sides. It can get confusing otherwise...

Top Bottom