Thread: Koa is King

Default Koa is King

I think it would be very hard to argue here that koa is the essence that makes up the concept of ukulele. Well, koa may be king but there are some very strong contenders, not pretenders because, of course, they have their own voice. Here's one:

Last edited by Pete Howlett; 04-09-2020 at 02:37 AM.

Really does sound very good Pete. Any of the thin-line ukes I've ever made had great voicing for picking.

Why do you think that is the case? I really do not understand it...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    Why do you think that is the case? I really do not understand it...
    Well Pete, I think we discussed this on a thread a long time ago. I think it had to do with something called the "Hemholtz Effect" and the vibrating column of air from the sound hole. What I think is that it is complicated and beyond my ken, but for whatever reason a thinner uke seems to allow the plucked notes to be better articulated with lovely sustain. Of course like everything it seems, it comes with a downside in that (it seems to me) a thin uke can be over-pushed with very hard strumming. Anyway, a killer sounding uke (to my ear at least). Are you using 'V' bracing on it by any chance?

I have a friend that has an Eckhaus, I believe it is a tenor, slimline with a cutaway that is astounding in the tone and projection that it has. Pretty amazing and I want to build one, in my spare time.
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Yes my vFan bracing system is used on all but traditional style Hawaiian acoustic instruments. I am making next week so I will post most likely to here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpE...PHOcWNkN-T4exg. I am resurrecting my old YouTube channel to dump random stuff ukulele stuff.

Wow - I can barely hear you speaking but the uke is loud and clear. I don't suspect this is some trick where you made the table into a large soundboard to focus all the sound waves that touch it right to the microphone. Sounds like a really nice design, build and wood, in that order.

Thread Information