Playing in public

Nickie

Reaction score
Opportunities for playing in public are few and far between. 2 of us from Ukers For Life went to an ALF and played out in the parking lot of two large buildings, 6 songs each. We had about 8 to 10 people on their screened balconies listening, and applauding, even chiming on glasses with spoons. We found out we're a bit rusty!
But, it was fairly satisfying.

The weather is getting better here. I've been playing out on my front deck. We've been getting lots of foot traffic. Kind of like busking the neighborhood and no tips. That's okay. People smile and wave. I'll take that.

Last edited:
Very nice Nickie. It's been raining here in Los Angeles the last few, can't even go out on the balcony.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Still in the 40°s here in Wisconsin.

Won't be playing on the porch for quite a while.

I haven't gotten up the courage for a "driveway" concert yet. I toyed with the idea of a sign that reads ......."Will play for tips. Will stop playing for toilet paper." Actually, my sign will read.... "Playing For Smiles."

I haven't gotten up the courage for a "driveway" concert yet. I toyed with the idea of a sign that reads ......."Will play for tips. Will stop playing for toilet paper." Actually, my sign will read.... "Playing For Smiles."
I like that. Can I steal the idea? I've been getting pretty good reactions from people walking by. Busking is something I really like to do so playing for people walking by my house is just a huge thing for me in these times. It is more than getting out and playing. I get to work up my play list, I got my setup on the deck. I work on my long distance interactions with my audience. It is a good reason for a R&C. It has just been a life saver mentally. And no one has crossed the street to get away from me, which means people are desperate for live music.

Kudos to you for getting out and making some music for others.

My wife is happiest when I maintain a 6 foot separation between me and my uke. :D

Ha ha! Best laugh I had all day!
Thanks for your support, guys.
We have actually been watching live concerts on Facebook and YouTube. Glen Roethel was awesome tonight, but didn't play his uke.

Top Bottom