Holey tenor!

Looks as though there could have been a 5th tuner, some small (screws) holes around the big hole, on the back side. Change out the bridge the saddle the nut. Don't know why one would add a 5th string in that location but I guess there was a little space there.

I saw that listing, and it hurt my soul a bit.

Really bad player. Tough crowd. Patched bullet hole.

I also thought the hole was meant for accommodating a peg for wall-hanging. Regardless, couldn't the hole be beneficial? I remember seeing a thread (which I didn't bother to read) collating soprano weights. Wouldn't drilling away some wood impact the complicated equation concerning spaghetti arms and micrograms of instrument and balance, and a ton of other fussy stuff?

Looks as though there could have been a 5th tuner, some small (screws) holes around the big hole, on the back side. Change out the bridge the saddle the nut. Don't know why one would add a 5th string in that location but I guess there was a little space there.

Yep, that was my take on it. The small mounting holes look like a tuner was installed there at one time. The present tuners and nut do not look original.

Horrible repair. And they want $500 for it? Yikes!

Still, it's not a bad price for a 1950s pin bridge Martin 1T tenor, in spite of the headstock and replaced tuners. A bit like Iz Kamakawiwo'ole's one, in fact.

Let's assume someone wants a Martin tenor. Which should they get, this, or a used T1K, for about the same amount of dough? Discuss.

Little known, and far less successful precursor to the clip-on tuner. The bolt-through tuner, sadly, never caught on.

It was a rather unwieldy device, on the order of about 3 1/2 pounds. The screws kept it from rotating in place due to its weight. It was very cool looking though with the mechanical analog gauge. If you forgot to turn off the backlight though, the batteries would die in about half an hour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom