Joined to get info for my teenage daughter Pittsburgh

astowell5005

Reaction score
Hi! My daughter loves music and can play the piano very well. She mentioned yesterday that she'd love to be able to pay the ukulele. I want to surprise her with a ukulele and whatever she needs to record. At this point, she uses our ipad with her digital piano. Is there a good ukulele kit anyone would recommend for a teenager with digital aspects?
I have no idea what i'm doing, and barely know what a ukulele is! I just want to buy her one and I want to make sure the one I get can do everything that she would want it to do. Any advice??
Thanks so much!
Amy

What is your budget? You can get a ton of recommendations but knowing what you're willing to spend will help narrow things down. Are you looking for an absolute cheap/starter ukulele in case she doesn't end up liking it or is it something she is likely to stick with so you'd be looking for something she wouldn't quickly want to replace with a better uke?

What is your budget? You can get a ton of recommendations but knowing what you're willing to spend will help narrow things down. Are you looking for an absolute cheap/starter ukulele in case she doesn't end up liking it or is it something she is likely to stick with so you'd be looking for something she wouldn't quickly want to replace with a better uke?

I don't want the cheapest possibility, because I'd like her to take pride in it, but since I'm not sure she'll pursue it, I don't want to spend a fortune. I was thinking $100-$150??? I have no knowledge in this area, so I'm not sure if you're going to say that I can get nothing for 150 or that may be a good start. lol! Thank you so much for responding!!!
Amy

I don't want the cheapest possibility, because I'd like her to take pride in it, but since I'm not sure she'll pursue it, I don't want to spend a fortune. I was thinking $100-$150??? I have no knowledge in this area, so I'm not sure if you're going to say that I can get nothing for 150 or that may be a good start. lol! Thank you so much for responding!!!
Amy

I'd recommend that you check out Mim's Ukes. Three of my five ukes were purchased from her and I couldn't be happier with them. She checks them out thoroughly and sets them up so they play comfortably and properly. Another thing I love about her site is that the uke you see in the listing is the uke that you get. You won't receive something different than what your hoped for or expected. A soprano or a concert sized uke would probably be the best starting point. In your price range I'd recommend the Ohana SK-20 or the Ohana SK-22 which are both soprano ukuleles. I'd also recommend the Ohana CK-20 or the Ohana CK-22 which are both concert ukuleles. I like the concert size which is most comfortable for me to play. People with smaller hands like sopranos. They range in price from $105 to $139. The ones I looked at are marked as "blems" or "B-stock" which mean they have some kind of cosmetic blemish so the price is marked down. I purchased a blem from her and I had a real hard time finding it even though she pointed it out to me. If I didn't know it was a blem I never would have noticed.

By all means give her a call and tell her your situation and my recommendations. She's wonderful to deal with and she would be happy to discuss your situation and make recommendations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom