Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cocobolo Concert Ukulele

Default Cocobolo Concert Ukulele

Here's my take on the Cocobolo Concert Ukulele that I purchased. These have been reviewed before...so it's probably not much in terms of news for anyone (it's not a "hot new model"). But I was blown away by the sound of this instrument...I know they look great. I was also surprised by how comfortable it is to play. I think it is my favorite concert at this point mainly because of its attributes.

One Minute Review, then the full review.

My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Congrats and welcome to the Cocobolo Ukulele family!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

nice review! But nevermind the uke. Where can I get one of those automatic tuner gun thingies?
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    nice review! But nevermind the uke. Where can I get one of those automatic tuner gun thingies?
    It’s the Jowoom T2. They are wonderful—especially as a teacher tuning 40 ukuleles or more at once...
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

Thanks for the review! I've had cocobolo archery equipment. I love the look of cocobolo, in my experience it can darken over time but it still retains the color tones, does not darken evenly, which I find nice in the contrasting colors. The sound is solid, build quality is solid per your review. I'll have to check their website and keep an eye out for a long neck soprano...if they ever make one.....and as you said.....if your picked be ready to buy....

Quote Originally Posted by mjh42 View Post
    keep an eye out for a long neck soprano...if they ever make one.....
    About 6 or so have recently come up for lottery, some with 16" scale even. I put in for one of them but didn't get it. Probably just as well since the concert I have is 16"
    Ukulele:
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Rogue bari
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    About 6 or so have recently come up for lottery, some with 16" scale even. I put in for one of them but didn't get it. Probably just as well since the concert I have is 16"
    I entered the lottery three weeks in a row, but only for the concert ukes that I wanted. (Not a fan of the star around the sound hole).

The third week, I got an email from a local player congratulating my on winning the lottery.

The email after that was from Cocobolo. I added the pickup and snakewood buttons. It shipped in a uke crazy polyfoam case, and I had a Gator concert hard case waiting when it got here.

My three favorite ukes: The Donaldson Concert Brad build for me, my Cocobolo, and the KoAloha Scepter. Of those three, my favorite is whichever one I happen to be playing at the time.

(Donaldson and KoAloha have Worth Clear strings, Cocobolo has Worth Brown.)

-Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Nice ukes. I just utterly despise the lottery system to buy them. Other low volume builders had made it work with regular sales. Just take orders - start building and deliver. How many orders you get dictates how long the delay will be, but so long as you tell people the delay at the start, it's no biggie. I know some people who have waited well over 12 months for a custom.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    I just utterly despise the lottery system...Just take orders - start building and deliver. How many orders you get dictates how long the delay will be.
    I do get your point, but then you have to manage your backlog. I've talked with builders where that got to be very burdensome. So I can see it from their perspective. Other alternatives have been debated such as auctions but those are imperfect too - good luck acquiring a uke from Chuck Moore or Ken Timms nowadays. Or you can raise the price so that you only get a few orders, which is probably the most "fair" system all around, but then again, there's basically no chance for the average player to obtain those brands (Devine, Moore, Lichty, etc.). All-in-all, the lottery system isn't without merit.
    Ukulele:
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Rogue bari
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

For a small volume maker Cocobolo Ukulele's has come up with a system of selling their product and the consumers seem to be buying them. There are myriad of other ways to sell products as well. I've been on waiting lists for hand made archery equipment, blacksmithed tools, and knives. Almost no one I have dealt with has been able to meet their projected delivery dates. One was always close. All these business are still in business because they make quality and custom products that people want to buy. People not happy with the delays either wait or go elsewhere. I've also stalked sellers webpages for well over a year waiting for a specific carving tool to be available. The tools are made in small volume limited run shop. When the run is done, they likely won't make that model again until next year. Supplies go out to dealers, are posted, sell until gone and wait a year for the next supply. Sure I can just pop over the Mim's or HMS and order up what they have in stock, but with CU I can sign up for their notices, if I see something I like I can get in on the lottery, if I win the lottery I can buy or not buy. I'm not going to get too worked up about an instrument with the system they have put into place. I've missed out on other instruments that I thought too long about, and I've been to a few shops to look at something I saw online and when actually handling and playing the instrument I was very glad I did not order online and have the instrument shipped. There are two ukuleles in the Marketplace right now that I would "like" to buy right now, it would not be a financial burden. But do I really need either of those uke's. Sure they would be nice, but,,,,,,,so goes the dance around the buy and sell and so on.......I'd rather spend the energy on playing the music.....

Thread Information