Lava Music Lava U Tenor - REVIEW

Seems to be the Apple product of the ukulele world. All about the tech look, packaging, etc... I watched an unboxing video of one of their products and even the way the cables and everything else is packaged just screams Apple product. If that's your thing, you'll probably love the Lava U. I currently have the Enya Nova w/ pickup and the Outdoor Ukulele. Probably going to sell the Enya and just keep the Outdoor as my beater car uke.

I've seen a few of those vids. Now, I DESPISE unboxing videos at ANY time - utterly pointless - but I was absolutely certain there was no way at all I was going to film any of the packaging on this one or even talk about it. Sure - it DOES come nicely boxed. But it's utterly irrelevant to the buyer unless the only part of the experience you enjoy is opening the box. So I refused to let such meaningless detail take any focus in the review.

I still like the uke though, but the price does make it clear that there is a LOT of style over substance here. Particularly the case. Maybe that appeals to unboxing fans too!

.....I still like the uke though, but the price does make it clear that there is a LOT of style over substance here. Particularly the case. Maybe that appeals to unboxing fans too!

With all that emphasis on style and bright colors I'm pretty sure that you (at 47) and I (at 66) are NOT the intended audience anyway.

Ha ha! Probably not!

Which does beg the question why influencers on YouTube about my age are raving about them..

With all that emphasis on style and bright colors I'm pretty sure that you (at 47) and I (at 66) are NOT the intended audience anyway.

Ha ha. I’m 73 and I sure fell for it. Truthfully, I am not convinced I am happy, price being the jigaboo. However, I do like the uke, great tone and I love the fretboard. Except for my dislike of the controls, the overall build quality is superb. I love it plugged in, which is mostly how I play. As Barry mentions, another thing to hate is the stupid location of the strap button. Perhaps it will make sense when I take delivery on the promised special one of a kind Lava strap.

Ha ha. I’m 73 and I sure fell for it. Truthfully, I am not convinced I am happy, price being the jigaboo. However, I do like the uke, great tone and I love the fretboard. Except for my dislike of the controls, the overall build quality is superb. I love it plugged in, which is mostly how I play. As Barry mentions, another thing to hate is the stupid location of the strap button. Perhaps it will make sense when I take delivery on the promised special one of a kind Lava strap.

Yeah the strap system is limiting. Their strap may well be a nice thing (not seen it yet), but still don't think precluding people using their own preferred straps is a good idea. Some people have personalised ones. I'm also quite particular about strap width and positioning myself. Think they really should have offered regular buttons as an option at least.

Can I ask - did you order a strap and if so, what was the cost? I asked Lava but they didn't respond.

$35???? You serious? For a strap?

Wow..

Serious as can be. I’m hugely OCD. Got caught up in the moment.

ha ha! Not judging. Still really do think they should have made the strap part of the 'deal'.

Serious as can be. I’m hugely OCD. Got caught up in the moment.

ha ha! Not judging. Still really do think they should have made the strap part of the 'deal'.

Wow. that Lava company must be made up of Ferengi. True followers of the Rules of Acquisition.

Baz, thanks for the great and informative review. I agree that the price seems high. Aside from that, it would take a lot for me to ditch my Flea for something else also 'not wood' in the body.

Wow. that Lava company must be made up of Ferengi. True followers of the Rules of Acquisition.

Ha Ha Nickie! Another ST- DS9 fan! Yes, I agree with you :)

Thanks Joe!

I'm a sucker for a Flea too!

I was interested in the Enya Nova composite uke but it's only available in concert. I messaged Enya and they said a tenor version will be available some time this coming summer. I think the corona virus pandemic may cause a delay. The concert version is reasonably priced compared to the Lava. I don't particularly like the look of the Lava as well. The Enya is more pleasing to my eye.

I'm between two stools. Yes the Enya is a lot cheaper but there are a couple of very important 'but's'...

One is subjective - I think the Lava sounds significantly better in tone

The other is something i have not seen personally, but read about - that is that the Enya frets have a lot of reports of wearing down quickly. There is NO way the Lava frets will wear quickly.

In other words - more to any comparison than just looks and price for me.

I really appreciate Barry's review. I have found all of his reviews very informative and helpful. I thought I might add a few thoughts about the new Lava ukuleles, particularly about the value for the money.

I have had a concert Lava with special effects for a few weeks now and I really like it and think it is worth every penny I paid. After experimenting with different strings, I have settled on Oasis brights with a Fermont Soloist low G. No comparison to the other plastic composite ukuleles I have. Much richer, fuller sound. The metal frets on the Lava are nice—the ability to use wound strings without worrying about wear.

My go-to uke has been the Clara which I have had for five years. The Clara, of course, is much louder and lighter—the Lava may weight half again as much. Since changing the strings and lowering the nut to bring the action at first fret down to .5mm, the Lava plays much like my Clara in the first position. As one goes up the fretboard, the Lava’s neck does get a little deeper than the Clara as one approaches the body, but the feel remains quite good to me.
In terms of tone, the Lava with Oasis bright strings and Soloist low G is much more mellow than the Clara with the same strings and also seems to have a more note separation, that, is it does not sound to me as muddled as the Clara sometimes sounds when strumming.

I assume the Lava will be as durable as the Clara, perhaps even more tolerate of high temperatures which is ideal for traveling. Living in a very dry region of Southern California, it’s nice to be able to leave my ukuleles out of their cases and not worry about the low humidity.

In terms of sound, I really like the Lava. My wife, in facts, prefers its sound to that of the Clara. I now have two go-to ukuleles. I do enjoy the two Blackbirds tenors I have, but I prefer playing the concert scale and have had difficulty finding another concert I really like—wood or composite. The new Lava checks all the boxes for me plus it has special effects which might come in handy someday.

The case, while interesting, I find somewhat pretentious. Others, of course, really love it. I would rather have had a nice strap. None of this takes away from the value the ukulele itself has for me. Of course, cheaper is always better, but you get what you pay for. And in regards to the Lava, I feel I have gotten exactly if not more than what I paid for.

Nice review there Fourth String. Concerning your wife, my wife said basically the same thing, echoed by my guitar playing son. They have commented about the sound more than once.

I have to say, I’ve experienced some quality time with the Lava, I the past several days. I’m liking it more and more. Just sounds right. For some reason, I find it easier to play for an extended time.
Still not sold on the effects, but the pickup is awesome.

Note: Mike at UR said straps should be available in May. Concerning straps, I installed a Fusion stuck on strap button from Outdoor Ukulele. It worked for a few days before it fell off. The glue was stuck to the uke. Aaaww!! However, a dab of WD40, and a gentle swipe of a Mr Clean MagicEraser, removed all evidence. No smudges, marks, glue, no nothing. Just like new.

Last edited:
Welcomed comments both. Just to be clear - one thing i really rather liked about the Lava was the tone. Far nicer than the Nova U. Still a touch quiet for me, but a nice tone.

I just got a Lava U Tenor with built-in effects yesterday, and I have spent a few hrs with it. I like the neck very much, don't know why but it is easier for me to play clean barre chords with the Lava's neck copmpared to my other ukuleles. I also like the acoustic sound. I had an Enya Nova concert a few months ago, it was nice but the sound was very bright, I prefer the tone of the Lava U. My biggest disappointment are the built-in effects. They are barely noticeable. I tried every possible setting, but still, I am underwhelmed. Especially the chorus, in my personal opinion it is almost non-existent. The delay works ok, the reverb works only if you push the control to the maximum and still it is not very audible and I also find it very artificial sounding. I was expecting better. Still, I like this ukulele and I think I will keep it.

I just got a Lava U Tenor with built-in effects yesterday, and I have spent a few hrs with it. I like the neck very much, don't know why but it is easier for me to play clean barre chords with the Lava's neck copmpared to my other ukuleles. I also like the acoustic sound. I had an Enya Nova concert a few months ago, it was nice but the sound was very bright, I prefer the tone of the Lava U. My biggest disappointment are the built-in effects. They are barely noticeable. I tried every possible setting, but still, I am underwhelmed. Especially the chorus, in my personal opinion it is almost non-existent. The delay works ok, the reverb works only if you push the control to the maximum and still it is not very audible and I also find it very artificial sounding. I was expecting better. Still, I like this ukulele and I think I will keep it.

First, your statement about not liking the brightness is exactly what I was saying in my review...I love the brightness of the Nova over the darkness of the Lava, and I think that's a major point for many players. If you like the dark sound, it absolutely is worth $200 or $220 (you bought the tenor) over the lifetime of the instrument...which should be a LONG time. Please note: I'm not saying you're wrong--but as you defend a $399 plastic ukuleles to others (and people are either going to ask or talk behind your back), you have a really solid point there.

And you also have metal frets. I have verified that the upcoming Enya Nova tenor will have metal frets (unsure of the concert...the soprano WILL NOT) but that isn't slated until December, and that's only if interruptions due to COVID do not increase.

The onboard effects on all of these plastic ukuleles (other than the solid/laminate wood models, it seems (e.g. Flight)) are limited in their overall presence. Wood ukuleles seem to act as a better amplifier.

One thing I've found is that if you want to increase the effect, hold the instrument away from you. That's easier said than done without the $50 (or more) strap that isn't still available...but give it a try.

As for the neck, it is well shaped, flat, with a slight radius on the fretboard, and a very tactile "grippy" finish. Nothing to complain about there!

Congrats on your purchase...and start looking for a gig bag so you can actually bring it with you to places! �� (My other main point was that the strap and a gig bag should have been provided at the price point).

Top Bottom