Song Help Request Help with some rough spots on this tab - Can't Help Falling In Love With You

bobhost

Reaction score
On the Facebook UU page I saw a handwritten tab for this song from a gentleman from Taiwan (?) named 郭奈良(Guo Nailiang?) along with this video
https://youtu.be/UcCi8OknQbw

Here is the original (reduced to fit better, link to full res version at bottom)

Cant-Help-Falling-In-Love-Thumb.jpg

And my best attempt at transcribing it into Musescore (again, reduced res to fit)

Cant-Help-Falling-In-Love20.png

I have 2 issues with this tab;

First, measures 4, 12 and 25 all start with 2242. My ear cannot justify this. I wonder if it actually being played x242 with the full bar on 2 being in place for playing later in the measure. What to your eyes and ears say?
Video time 0:12, 0:37 and 1:19

Second, as written measure 20 confuses me. I gave it a shot in transcribing what I could only describe as a syncopated tripled with grace notes thrown in. My ear hears this passage as played in the video 0:53
Cant-Help-Falling-In-Love-As-Played.png

What do you think? I think I am going to go with the 'as played' passage. Other than these 2 issues, do you have any input on the layout or accuracy of the piece?

Full Res original handwritten tab
Full Res transcription as written

I play Can't help falling in Love and honestly its no that complicated. It's a pretty simple, straight forwards song.
The picking pattern is a VERY simple 4,3,2,1,2,3 and repeat through the WHOLE song which is in 3/4 time. If you want to add variety/depth by plucking all strings on the first beat then do so but its not mandatory or even original.
When you get a feel for it you just play some notes louder and some softer but the simple pattern goes on for the whole song.

Just find chords that work for you from guitar and off you go.
Here are the right chords as far as I'm concerned,
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/elvis-presley/cant-help-falling-in-love-chords-1086983
Chords in the key of C with a capo on the second fret. This works brilliantly on a baritone uke.
I have a tenor tuned down 3 semitones so its right on the money for me to just play the guitar/baritone shape chords.
The only chord I change position on is the (guitar/baritone) Em, which is 2000. I move it up to 5453, during the verse only, which is still a baritone Em but it moves the bass note for some variety.

EDIT: The version your asking about is in the key of A which isn't the original key. I'm playing it in the key of D. I believe the original is in the key of C#. If you play the guitar shapes on a standard uke you will be in the key of F. Just play around and find a key that suits you because everyone else is doing that anyway.

EDIT AGAIN:
OK, I should have looked first. My recommendations is for playing the accompaniment part for a singer. Your TAB is for a fingerstyle solo so its been modified to suit. Still start from the right chords and work the melody line into it.

Last edited:
In the measures 4, 12 and 25 which all start with 2242, I would change it to 4242 and leave the finger on the 4th fret of the 4th string for the whole measure.

Top Bottom