Self harmonizing, key choice

UkingViking

Reaction score
Hi UU,

I am considering trying to add more voices to my own home recordings, trying to learn 2. and perhaps 3. voices.

But how to transpose the song...

I have a limited vocal range, and as for most males I will usually sound more interesting near the top of my range. But if I want to add a higher 2. voice I would need to keep some extra air between the melody in the chosen key and the highest notes I can reach.

Does anybody have experince with this and recommendations of some kind?

Should I just choose the key where the melody line is best for my vocal range and only add lower harmonics, or transpose a bit lower?

It's safe to add the notes of the relevant chords as intervals. So for example add step 3 (for a C that's an E) and then step 5 (a G) to complete the harmonies. Try to find some choral music sheets as examples how different voices work.

There's no set answer. You arrange to fit the vocal range and number of voices you want. And of course those goals may conflict with each other so you make the appropriate trade off. You can also look to pitch shifting software to attempt to extend the range although how well that works is also an exercise in trial-and-error

I think I have been going about this the wrong way.
I had gotten the impression that the 2. voice would usually follow the melody line, kind of transposed, but I realize now that it aint.
Is it correctly understood that when the melody goes up of down the scale using notes outside of the chord, the 2. voice would often stick to notes that belongs to the chord?

However, I think the best thing for me to do right now is just to record the melody as if I didn't intend to put in more voices, and then see if I can make something fit.

I think I have been going about this the wrong way.
I had gotten the impression that the 2. voice would usually follow the melody line, kind of transposed, but I realize now that it aint.
Is it correctly understood that when the melody goes up of down the scale using notes outside of the chord, the 2. voice would often stick to notes that belongs to the chord?

However, I think the best thing for me to do right now is just to record the melody as if I didn't intend to put in more voices, and then see if I can make something fit.
Again, there's no hard and fast rules here. Harmony can move parallel to the melody, opposite to the harmony, stick to chord tones, etc.

I think your idea of focusing on the melody first is generally a good one as different harmony schemes can often work over the same melody line. Such "reharmonization" is often used in jazz circles as a way to "make your mark" on a tune.

Again, there's no hard and fast rules here. Harmony can move parallel to the melody, opposite to the harmony, stick to chord tones, etc.

I think your idea of focusing on the melody first is generally a good one as different harmony schemes can often work over the same melody line. Such "reharmonization" is often used in jazz circles as a way to "make your mark" on a tune.
It's safe to add the notes of the relevant chords as intervals. So for example add step 3 (for a C that's an E) and then step 5 (a G) to complete the harmonies. Try to find some choral music sheets as examples how different voices work.
Where do I go to learn these technique’s, I’m wanting to improve my singing and join in with harmonies.

You have a luxurious voice, btw. Not just the top of your range. You got a nice dark baritone voice going on.

Where do I go to learn these technique’s, I’m wanting to improve my singing and join in with harmonies.
Diane,
A vocal coach would be able to help you achieve both of your goals. Lots of voice teachers are providing lessons via Zoom, Skype, etc. these days, so it wouldn’t necessarily have to be someone in your immediate community. Yes, you could learn about basic harmony theory through online websites, but to improve your singing voice, and develop an ear for harmony, you really need someone that can provide you with professional analysis and feedback. You have worthy goals - I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

Diane,
A vocal coach would be able to help you achieve both of your goals. Lots of voice teachers are providing lessons via Zoom, Skype, etc. these days, so it wouldn’t necessarily have to be someone in your immediate community. Yes, you could learn about basic harmony theory through online websites, but to improve your singing voice, and develop an ear for harmony, you really need someone that can provide you with professional analysis and feedback. You have worthy goals - I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
Thanks for the reply Jan, I’ll have to search online as my local area hasn’t any vocal coaches, I’m still thinking the 30 day singer program as there are 3 teachers and I’m not restricted to just one teacher.

Thanks for the reply Jan, I’ll have to search online as my local area hasn’t any vocal coaches, I’m still thinking the 30 day singer program as there are 3 teachers and I’m not restricted to just one teacher.
If any of the high schools, community colleges, or universities in your general area have a Music program, it would be worth contacting them. Someone in the Music Dept would probably be able to recommend a voice teacher for you. Also, if there is a choir in your area, like a community choral group, you could try contacting the director for recommendations. Any place that presents musical theatre might also be able to help you find a vocal coach.

If any of the high schools, community colleges, or universities in your general area have a Music program, it would be worth contacting them. Someone in the Music Dept would probably be able to recommend a voice teacher for you. Also, if there is a choir in your area, like a community choral group, you could try contacting the director for recommendations. Any place that presents musical theatre might also be able to help you find a vocal coach.
I’m trialing 30day singer, 14 day free trial.

Top Bottom