VIDEO- Gluing a top crack with hot hide glue

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Please subscribe if you enjoy such lutherie videos.

Nice work as always, Beau. I'm curious - did you choose hide glue over another glue (such as CA glue) for future serviceability, or for some other reason?

Hot Hide Glue (HHG) is usually the go to for cracks.

Never use ca glue on soft woods as it stains.

You could use ca on a mahogany or koa top but you can get a darker line.

This is 1972-73 Martin so hide glue is best (titebond would also be perfect.)

The older the instrument, the more one should use HHG.

Ah, makes sense. I've used red top Titebond mostly for this kind of thing, and it's always cheaper to ask than to experiment :)

Does the crack extend across the X brace? Does this mean that the brace may be loose, allowing the top to crack even though the brace crossed the region of the crack?

Does the crack extend across the X brace? Does this mean that the brace may be loose, allowing the top to crack even though the brace crossed the region of the crack?

It stopped before the x brace but went under a finger brace, which was totally unglued. I glued the top crack first then the finger brace (from memory?!?!). You could do it either way.

I'm going to invest in those magnets. They're marvelous and I have a crack repair to do right now.
Thank you

I'm going to invest in those magnets. They're marvelous and I have a crack repair to do right now.
Thank you

I use these magnets all the time- they are expensive but I don't mind paying good $$$ for tools I use all the time.
I also recommend the brace jack:
Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.39.01 AM.jpg

For a hard to reach back brace (or any loose brace) I insert a small wedge to keep the loose brace "open" so to speak which makes getting glue in there easier.
IMG_9329.jpg

I could also use these two tools but they are quite expensive. (I especially want the scissor jack- it is a great tool).
Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.39.39 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.38.50 AM.jpg

You can get very strong magnets when you strip redundant Computer Hard Drives eg : Seagate

Top Bottom