Back and trying again...

Sallybee

Reaction score
I joined in 2016 but just could not learn to play...

I have the bug again and doing much better than before so perhaps the dream is still alive... I have a super supportive husband so that helps and teaching online right now due to the COVID-19 so evenings are for relaxing and practicing.

Currently I have,
A soprano Minnow,
A Lanikai concert, and
A new to me tenor fluke ( just got here today...:))

Yoda-Do-or-do-not-there-is-no-try.jpg

Do it you can.

dbtoCOMtttYiGgj-WU62Bjl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9

Well, as you said, you've got the bug, so that's half the battle! Like anything, the new player has to want to learn and get better. I gave a uke to my 20s daughter. She likes it, but not enough to put in the time. Every time I ask her how the uke is going, she says ok, she still knows the same 3 chords. I keep telling her to find one song that she really wants to learn, and I'll work on it with her, to raise her enthusiasm level. I also gave her some chord charts, and directed her to some Youtube teachers for some easy songs. Oh well, like they say, you can lead a horse to water......

Stick with it, lotsa fun as you get better!.

Welcome (back) Sallybee!

Look for 'Bernadette teaches music' on YouTube (YT). During the lockdown she has a daily class on YT. She goes live at noon pacific (if I'm not mistaken) and all her streams are saved for later viewing/studying. The following link is a work in progress and has all the songs she has worked on so far:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1JY0DijA4QUlF7kcVjr3KBBMaVGJ7Kwp2NzbQQAGZVwM/edit#slide=id.g732ab4de69_688_13

She has also a 30 days challenge for beginners and a 30 days uke course for intermediate players. If you like her style you can stick with her for longer and take up her love song, Guilty pleasures and Beatlemania challenges.

I think that most beginners will find her channel helpful. Once you are more confident you will progress more quickly if you look around for other YT teachers/tutors. Personally I like Ukulele Cheats, Matt Dahlberg, Rock Class 101, and as a beginner Cynthia Lin. I have learnt a lot from the interesting HMS podcast. They also introduced Tobias Elof to my musical world. Ukulele Zen, TenThumbs Productions are also helpful. Some people also like Uke like the Pros and the Ukulele teacher.

Some performers teach on Facebook: Jake Shimabukuro, Neal Chin or on Instagram (Cynthia Lin).

Welcome to UU, and back to the ukulele ohana!
Keep at it, I tell my beginners, 15 to 20 minutes a day, each day, but don't overdo it.
James Hill is also an excellent teacher, for all levels of skills.

Hooray for you, Sallybee! You can do it! I'm new to ukulele too, though I have somewhat of a guitar background. I had always wanted to learn the uke, and with all that is going on with quarantine, and with my local music shop that advertised uke lessons going out of business, I figured it was now or never! I've found many, many helpful Youtube lessons - Ms Bean mentions some. Also, there are a bunch of wonderful books out there. Ukulele for Dummies is a great start - quite a clever one actually, not for dummies at all, and very humorous. And the ukulele should be fun, after all, right? It's such a happy sounding instrument. Look for songs that make you happy to play, but within your abilities, even if it's only two or three chords. The (almost) instant success boosts the confidence level and helps you to learn more quickly, imo.

Last edited:
Welcome back! Sallybee! You can do it! Find a song that is gets under your skin. And a teacher whose voice you like online. Bernadette is great because she is actually a teacher. I also like Ten Thumbs. And I love Phil Doleman. And Choan Galvez and Samantha Muir and Aldrene Guerrero and James Hill and several others. Ha!

Top Bottom