How can I better arrange and play on uke this song I wrote?

LilyLouche

Reaction score
Hello ukers

I'm a self taught ukulelist. I picked up enough so that I can do singalongs and also write my own songs on uke. So you could say I"m in my comfort zone / rut/ bad habits and all.

Here's a song I finished recently. I would love to do a video / recording of me performing this... and I realise my uke skills are a bit rough round the edges. Some of the chord shapes / transitions are hard to do.

So I"d love some advice on what exercises / technique work I should do to get this working really well. Or perhaps some different way of arranging it so it works the best it can.

Happy to receive criticism of the next thing that needs work... so I can focus my efforts.

Can you signpost me to some good things to do / people to ask etc so I can perform this song to the max?

Thank you in advance .

It's on Soundcloud as a private link right now. I"m not ready to publicise it

https://soundcloud.com/lily-louche/footloose-2/s-pbXehzYXaaq

Hi Lily,

I don't think I am qualified to give you advice how to improve the song. Here are some private thoughts of mine, and you can ignore them completely or think them over as you wish:
I like your voice. At the start you sound fairly vulnerable and then your voice grows stronger.
I like the fingerpicked parts best. For me strumming does not serve the jazzy style very well. I would prefer more single down strums and more space in between. For the spicier bits I would suggest pinching all four strings together rhythmically rather than filling the space with island strums or a similar strum.

I hope that other people listen to your song and write down their suggestions as well.
Good luck with finishing your song!

Thank you Ms Bean

I like the fingerpicked parts best. For me strumming does not serve the jazzy style very well. I would prefer more single down strums and more space in between. For the spicier bits I would suggest pinching all four strings together rhythmically rather than filling the space with island strums or a similar strum.

Thank you for listening - I will listen again and try these ideas.

Top Bottom